Retro mod or not retro mod....

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
That is the question.

Fleet thinning has left ne with some options for a couple of keepers, just not sure whether to stick or twist.

GT team RTS. Thinking of either m970 drive train 3x9 or sram x9 2x10. Forks some fox fit rlc with v mounts or some sid 32mm world cups, again with v mounts. Spins, spinergy or crossmax ceramics? If I go spins, I have some fsa cranks with a 3 point spider that might tie in nicely. Brakes will be avid ultimate, shock will either be a risse, or noleen piggy back with ti spring.

DBR Axis TT. M970 drive train, possibly xo 2x10 with fsa SLK carbon cranks, ot black middleburn rs7s. Spinergy or crossmax ceramics.

Both currently fitted with xtr m952. Dbr will remain with pace ti rc31s and 3dv Paul's v brakes, contemplating changing the titec ti stem and syncros ti seat post with black thompson replacements??

Bad ideas? Go for it?

Looking for some steer, as I'm poor at making decisions like this and ees to release some parts back into the wild once I'm done.

Re:

I might have some time tomorrow to actually work on a bike or two.

Any other opinions as my backside hurts sitting on the fence.

I think biggest dilemma is forks for the rts. 32mm sid works cup or fox rlc (fit)? Both are new fox were fitted to a bike I never rode more than a few miles, sids are nos.

Whilst I like m970 and could stretch to both having it, wondering if they will be a bit samey.

I have been thinking of updating my old 95 RTS-3 to a 1x drivetrain. I still have the original 3x7, but the new disc wheels have the cassette spaced out pretty far. I did buy some levers for my Avid discs, in anticipation of ditching the rapid fire shifters in favor of a single shifter for the anticipated 10 speed cassette. I know there are some who will say why upgrade a dinosaur like my GT, but I just love the bike and even after decades riding it it is still a better bike than I am a rider.
I will be watching this thread to see how the OP bike turns out.

Re:

I had contemplated discs on the rts, but think I'll stick with vs for now. I do have an a2z adapter somewhere......

And some m970 hubbed disk wheels.....

This just adds to the decisions now.

I went with the Brake Therapy setup for the rear disc. I also have a steel mount for the rear, but I have not had a chance to weld it on just yet.

Re:

I've got the alloy rear end, dont fancy welding that. Will probably stick with v brakes for that retro feel. Avid ultimates will be fine ;) and I can use spins then.

Back