Topic Deleted

Re:

I would get the 1996 Palisades Trail. The 1996 model was the the first alloy one and a very good bike for its price point at the time. It should have STX derailleurs and chainset. I gather, from another forum, that it was a little lighter than the Bear Valley in 1996 because it was alloy and the Bear Valley was steel - possibly the only year that happened. I have one and it weighs about 11.5kg in 16.5" (or thereabouts) size, which is a bit small height-wise but just right length-wise. I use mine for commuting most days, and sometimes for longer Sunday rides and have never regretted buying it. The ride is firmer than a steel frame but 2.2" X-Kings help soften it. FYI: I paid £75 for mine in good condition and spent about the same again on the tyres, wider range cassette, etc.

As for the Ridgeback: 601 designated a low end model most years. It's not likely to be up to much. I have a mid-90s 604 frame and forks knocking around that you can have for nothing if you want.

Obviously, you'll have to factor in condition, fit, and so on in your choice but, other things being equal, it seems an easy decision to me.

Re:

I'd get the Marin.
Both are decent bikes for the asking prices, but I feel the Marin would be the better option.

Re: Which One?

Buy both. The Marin may be just too 'ardcore with its alumniumnmnium frame whereas the Ridgeback may be like riding scaffolding or dry spaghetti.

Ride both, swap parts to suit, sell one on to cover the costs of both and maybe some cake too.

I like cake...

Re: Which One?

Oldskool13":xndahv0p said:
Should I just save my money and buy cake (I like cake too) :mrgreen:

You should add a Poll to this thread.

You could buy a LOT of cake with that money :mrgreen:

Re:

No, it's not brand snobbery. Marin really did make good bikes, and still do. The Palisades Trail is not a high end bike that would get you lots of kudos anyway. It's just a good everyday bike.

As for the cake option - depends on the type of cake. Perhaps there ought to be a cake poll as there was for biscuits.

Back