Merlin ID required

kingbling

rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi All

Picked this up today and I could do with some help Identifying which model Merlin this is presuming it is a Merlin of course sorry for the crappy pictures twas dark when I got home.
Any info greatly appreciated Thanks.

Attachments

• Merlin 4.jpg
    Merlin 4.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 2,354
  • Merlin 1.jpg
    Merlin 1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 2,353
  • Merlin 2.jpg
    Merlin 2.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 2,350
  • Merlin 3.jpg
    Merlin 3.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 2,352
  • Merlin 5.jpg
    Merlin 5.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 2,351
  • Merlin 6.jpg
    Merlin 6.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 2,351
  • Merlin 7.jpg
    Merlin 7.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 2,351
  • Merlin 8.jpg
    Merlin 8.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 2,353
Crikey that takes me back to mid 90’s, reading MBUk and seeing their Advert

Malt I I think

Retro Spud":9ygnewpa said:
Crikey that takes me back to mid 90’s, reading MBUk and seeing their Advert

Malt I I think

I vaguely remember the 90s :facepalm:

The frame must be pre 97 as it has the Ormskirk label on it

Re:

Looking at the few (1996?) Merlin Spec sheets that I have, and a 1996 MBUK;

The MALT 1 and 2 were 7005 Aluminium - I bought a MALT 2 in 1996 and still have the frame - I would imagine M & A stand for Merlin Aluminium, maybe L stands for Lightweight, and T for Triple butted, which mine is.

Anyway, I have a Spec sheet for a Merlin WCS model made from Ritchey Logic WCS, and another sheet for the Merlin Prestige, made from Tange Prestige tubing.

The WCS is quoted at 4lb 6oz, while the Prestige is quoted at 4lb 9oz.

The Prestige has Snake Seat and Chain Stays, and they both have the cable routing along the side of the Top Tube. Maybe your frame is a little older? The Malt House, Green Lane Ormskirk address is on the Spec sheets, before they moved to Layland.

Pip.

Thanks for the info Pip it narrows down the search, when I get time I'll strip it down a weigh it I'll also check out the frame number

My first 'Proper' bike was a Malt 1, I think it was the first or second year they were selling them - 1995. They were not selling these at that time, only Aluminium frames. I bought a Jump frame from them in (I think) 97/98, the same frame as the first Identiti jump frame, and that had the older style decals on it, so I suspect this may be after 97/98?

Re:

My MALT 2 frame has identical Down Tube and Seat Tube Decals to Major King's frame. The serial number is AT6K01094, so either '96 for the "AT6" or '94 for the last two digits. I think it is pre-suspension corrected geometry as I bought it with the Merlin Rigid Aluminium Forks (yes really!), which were 390mm C-A. I think Merlin may have been selling mine off cheaper as end of line, as suspension was becoming more popular.

The MALT 2 also has a Canti-Bridge across the Seat Stays, but with all Top Tube routing on the side of the tube. I notice that the Major's has twin Top Tube routing and presumably a Down Pull Front Mech, although we can't see the Cable Stop - and there is no L/H shifter. It also appears to have a Rear Brake Noodle, which would indicate that it was designed for Canti Brakes.

My Spec Sheets document a new feature for both the WCS & Prestige frames - "Ritchey Logic Compact Socket Dropouts", and I am sure that this list is for 1996. The Major's look like they pre-date these. I also think that the Merlin Font altered around 1998 to a more rounded style..... so after all that waffle, I reckon the frame in the photos is around 1994 - 1995.

Edit: I also just noticed that it has the "twisted" profile Top & Down Tube, so someone may know more from that!
Edit again: there's a bit of discussion on Merlin "spiral" tubing here - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46550

Pip

I bow to pips knowledge!

Mine was a basic alloy job, and it's just occurred to me that the graphics on your frame are probably EARLIER than I was aware of...

...why not just ignore everything I wrote up there^^^^ eh?

All your help is much appreciated lads, it has the cable stops for a top pull front mech so triple cable runs along the top tube I'll go and check the frame number now and see if we can narrow down the year.

So the frame number is S96066850 it seems then from other threads on here its a massed produced Taiwanese frame from 96 am I about right ?

Back