New "Retro" tyres

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Here's someone who's planning to bring a retro-inspired tyre to production.
Currently decent amberwall new tyre choices are pretty limited, I think you can still get the Smoke/Dart re-issues, and there are a handful of modern options from the likes of Halo, Schwalbe and a few others in 26" size, personally I'd like to see some re-issues of classic designs, but this new design could be an interesting option if it comes to fruition...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1830993 ... 687608690/

Attachments

• _20191016_102555.JPG
    _20191016_102555.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,483
Re:

about time too.

im surprised that in the last ten years or so the big ones, say panaracer. irc etc...

havnt jumped on the demand, but i expect they, or their suppliers, need orders of 1m+ to justify the process.

the guy above need not shy away from sidewall marks as it kinda makes it, in keeping.
not the ugly high contrast large font though, i get that. just a subtle product detail will suffice.

aside but relevant, filmer do a line of retro style tyres, appear on amazon sometimes. had some on my palisades, not the best race tread but get the bike looking the daddy.

Attachments

• 20181025_104558.jpg
    20181025_104558.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 1,428
Re:

Terrance is a very very Good Guy, with a lot of history and connections in the industry - and there's zero doubt this will come to fruition.

Fair play for having the balls to do it, and I'll be a customer most definitely.

Whether or not they work is almost an irrelevance to me in this instance, it's more about showing support for someone committed to put their effort and money on the line to offer something the manufacturers won't.

That alone deserves support in my book.

Nice one TM, and nice one Jimo for sharing it here for those peeps who might not be users of the dreaded FB... :cool:

Re:

Hello RBUK,

Thanks for getting a discussion started here about my passion project, while I was busy learning the social medias this week. ;)

Terra One is an abbreviation of my legal name; just remove the part in the middle. It’s a one-man, self-funded start-up company, with my time split between consulting work for other firms on e-bikes and making my own designs for ”we-bikes”: the classics that our community loves.

I’ve contributed to other companies’ tyre designs for over 20 years, so it’s exciting to have paid for the molds for the first under my own brand, and frustrating to wait for the brown parcel with the prototypes for testing and confirmation of the production specification.

Despite popular demand, don’t expect any reproductions from Terra One. Beyond the sizable legal hurdles to use other organizations’ IP, the pressure to get all of the details precisely the same as back then would be intense. Excuse me, but I’m not going to risk the failure of my new business by failing to live up to differing, fading memories of other brands’ products from thirty years ago.

What you can expect from Terra One is more “me-productions“: new designs informed by the products which were available back then, incorporating key elements from the best of them, and making sure that the end product looks as if it could have come from the period, whilst making the most of modern manufacturing and materials.

Preserve history, build community and ride frequently: these are my goals for both my new brand and its products for vintage bikes. Thanks to those in this community for their support so far, and while I may not post here daily, I’ll be sure to let you know when and where you can treat your old bikes to new kicks.

On to more important matters; where’s that Fading and Splatter BOTM competition? If only my best current bike in that category wasn’t rolling on Smoke and Dart repros! ;)

Sincerely,
Terrance Kevin Malone
Terra One GmbH

How cool is that :cool:

Looking forward to up dates and decent supple tyres that aren’t over a quarter of a century old

jimo746":q97lrfu3 said:
Here's someone who's planning to bring a retro-inspired tyre to production.
Currently decent amberwall new tyre choices are pretty limited, I think you can still get the Smoke/Dart re-issues, and there are a handful of modern options from the likes of Halo, Schwalbe and a few others in 26" size, personally I'd like to see some re-issues of classic designs, but this new design could be an interesting option if it comes to fruition...

Good to see someone having a go at this. Apart from re-issues from the big boys and the modern options mentioned - getting hold of the right amberwalls in decent condition are a key part of many builds. Then the question is - 'Once you've found them, Do you ride them?'
Having new/fresh ones that ride as well as modern tyres would be ace. Panaracer did an Amberwall version of their 2.1 Fire XC pro for a while. A Modern folding tyre with retro looks. Was perfect but they didn't sell it for long. :(

Hope this comes to Fruition.

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Bravo looking forard to seeing this and hopefully buying.

Can I ask for a narrower tyre for those old frames that just can't take 2.125 width? My old Raleigh is unlikely to take this as i think it maxes out at 2.0, so a 1.9 or 2.0 width would be appreciated by many i'm sure.

Carl.

drcarlos":21t7a3cz said:

Can I ask for a narrower tyre for those old frames that just can't take 2.125 width? My old Raleigh is unlikely to take this as i think it maxes out at 2.0, so a 1.9 or 2.0 width would be appreciated by many i'm sure.

Carl.

Ditto, ^^^^
1.95’s please!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peachy!":4vn4s985 said:
drcarlos":4vn4s985 said:

Carl.

Ditto, ^^^^
1.95’s please!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1 here as well

Back