The Lightest Frame I've Owned

They are all MTBs as far as I know. There was a period when the manufacturers tried to get the weights right down for XC. Bikes didn't necessarily ride particularly well. Weight Weenies used to be a popular site.

Aye, All look like MTBs to me?

My aim with my trek was as light as possible, whilst staying full retro.

Attachments

• th_DSC05583.jpg
    th_DSC05583.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 1,150
  • DSC05583.jpg
    DSC05583.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 1,148
Re: Re:

TOMAS":3nsnxydt said:
Nearly forgot! I'm mid-way through building this DBR Axis TT ('94 I believe), which is bang on 1500g...

One of the most underrated Ti frames ever :cool: Stiff as it needs to be yet with that lovely Ti forgiveness Alu doesn't have.

M-Power":17443cyp said:
TOMAS":17443cyp said:
Nearly forgot! I'm mid-way through building this DBR Axis TT ('94 I believe), which is bang on 1500g...

One of the most underrated Ti frames ever :cool: Stiff as it needs to be yet with that lovely Ti forgiveness Alu doesn't have.

Looking forward to getting it finished over this Autumn and taking it on its maiden voyage, I've got a Raleigh Torus XT too that's full welded Ti from the same year and the difference/quality of workmanship is well, LEAGUES apart!

Re:

the lightest steel frame I will probably ever own is a bianchi team martini from around 1997: 1745 grams.
I do have a bontrager frame that is sub 1700 grams but it has a few holes behind the bb shell and no canti studs.

Hi,

My 18” GT Lightning is 1574g with the headset cups on.

p3pb17866006.jpg

-Turkka

TOMAS":1nyp0f57 said:
M-Power":1nyp0f57 said:
TOMAS":1nyp0f57 said:

Looking forward to getting it finished over this Autumn and taking it on its maiden voyage, I've got a Raleigh Torus XT too that's full welded Ti from the same year and the difference/quality of workmanship is well, LEAGUES apart!

IRRC those Raleigh Torus frames were made from a lower grade of Russian Ti. A legacy of the break up of the USSR. The US Sandvik made Ti frames of that era are works of art.

M-Power":f7xtpf53 said:
IRRC those Raleigh Torus frames were made from a lower grade of Russian Ti. A legacy of the break up of the USSR. The US Sandvik made Ti frames of that era are works of art.

Were they :? Certainly that has been bandied about a bit but I believe it was refuted.
My Russian Ti is better than the vast majority of those mass produced US frames. Welding is joyful to look at. Unlike that blobby friday afternoon stuff :LOL:

Re:

Pretty sure that Russian ti/raleigh BS has been put to bed by someone who worked there at the time.

Was the ti produced by IMI or Timet? I forget which, but certainly not made from melted down Russian Migs as the story I've heard suggests.

ishaw":2hkaf04j said:
Pretty sure that Russian ti/raleigh BS has been put to bed by someone who worked there at the time.

Was the ti produced by IMI or Timet? I forget which, but certainly not made from melted down Russian Migs as the story I've heard suggests.

Mine have a Timet sticker on them. Agree....was put to bed.

Back