Ultimate v brakes or xtr?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I'm rebuilding my team rts and plan to use non-period parts. Whilst i enjoyed it wearing m952 all round, I've freed up an as new m970 groupset and plan to use that.

Going to stick with the controltech finishing kit and flite though.

Wheels will be either spins, spinergy or crossmax ceramic, but brakes are a quandary.

Xtr m970 to match the gearing, or avid ultimate black ops? I cant decide, anyone fancy pushing me in a direction?

Probably leaning towards the avids, but not quite off the fence.....

Re:

I have had a similar dilemma a couple of times Ian, and couldn’t decide which set-up would suit each bike the best, so I tried both for a while.

In my view, the Avid Ops are overall a superior quality brake, with a pair of cartridge bearings in each arm, while the Levers have more adjustability.

The Avids however do look somewhat chunkier, if that is an issue for you.

I don’t have a full set of close-up pictures of both types on both bikes, but these should give you an idea of what they will look like on your bike.

970 Levers and Shifters:

Ku 1998 Flight Deck 240716_1 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Avids with 970 Shifters:

Ku 1998 Flight Deck 160917 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Avid Arms:

Ku 1998 Avid Cali Rear 160917 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Avid Arms from a distance on what I assume is a similar colour bike to your RTS:

98 Hei Hei 170417 DSR by Philip Mock, on Flickr

And finally, a close up of Avids with 970 Shifters:

DSCN3054 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip

Re:

I agree with Pip :)

Avids = prob best rim brake I've experienced: quality and power

XTR = very nice brakes, work well and match the rest of your kit.

Cheers

Re: Re:

wadsy":26tol0vf said:
I agree with Pip :)

Avids = prob best rim brake I've experienced: quality and power

XTR = very nice brakes, work well and match the rest of your kit.

Cheers
Thanks for the pics pip, gives me an idea on how they look with the shifters.

The quote sums up my thoughts exactly. Black against the silver polished frame also works.

Throws another dilemma up, break out some nos caramba cranks in black, or stick with the xtr? Or pull some 2x carbon k-force off my 29er and run black xo 10x2?

I was going to run some fox forks in black up front, but maybe now thinking sid world cups (32mm).

This fence sitting is getting uncomfortable.

Re: Re:

ishaw":160zr327 said:
.....Throws another dilemma up, break out some nos caramba cranks in black, or stick with the xtr? Or pull some 2x carbon k-force off my 29er and run black xo 10x2?

I was going to run some fox forks in black up front, but maybe now thinking sid world cups (32mm).

This fence sitting is getting uncomfortable.

Blimey Ian, that is some shopping list that you have "thrown" up!

The way I go about it is to make list of each build, then add comments on the advantages (and disadvantages) of each. I've even used a Picture Editor to stick different forks on frame to see how it looks - either that or actually fit them up in the frame loosely, and take some pictures.

I'm not sure if these ideas will help you make a decision.

Pip.

Re:

Indeed. Just stuff I have laying idle in the garage, might as well use it or move it on.

Back