Help! Identify think its a Kona

80sSean

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone new to the forum, hope to rebuild this as it was my dads old bike think its a Kona but dont no what model, has been in the shed for at least a decade.I think i have the majority of the swing arm parts. Any help identifying the frame i would be grateful haven't found any numbers on it as of yet.

nl78wvCh.jpg

9Yuc0kXh.jpg

Don0vLDh.jpg

ZJGofp6h.jpg

DQA8fnNh.jpg

My_Teenage_Self":3075x4pt said:
Indeed a Kona, possibly a Manomano

Yes, looks very similar to a Manomano. Late 90's id guess, but someone else might be able to narrow the date down. Is thst the original colour paint?

Attachments

• image_6064-959x719.jpg
    image_6064-959x719.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 451
Re:

The areas of the blue paint left on the frame does look similar to the 1998 Manomano.

I have also seen the same yellow painted rear end on a King Kikapu, but I'm not sure why some Kona F/S frames have this.

Sorry about the tiny picture - it was the only decent one from a quick google search :roll: .

Pip

Attachments

• 1998 Manomano.jpg
    1998 Manomano.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 423
You've got one of 4 possible (1997-2000) models Manomano, Uí, Mokomoko, King Kikapu. If the seat stays have a canti hanger at the top, then it's one of the 1st two, if you can find the Easton logo stamped on the main tubes it's one of the latter 2, if you find the Easton logo & the rocker arms have cutouts its a 2000 King Kikapu or Mokomoko.

Re:

I've just noticed that the frame in question has an integral Gear Hanger, and no reinforcement to the Headtube - unlike my suggestion of 1998 Manomano :oops: .

So along with no Disc Tab, I think that rules out most of the F/S models from 1998 onwards.

As the 1997 King Kikapu and U'Hu are URT, that leaves the Manomano or U'i.

Pip.

Re:

Only other blue one I can see is the 1999 king kikapu.

Maybe it’s had a hard life and an earlier rear has been bolted on (one pre rear brake mount???)

I mean if design is same I guess it could easy be a later front end with older back end. Neither of the blue colours I have seen so far are exact.

Re:

If you glance back to my post, you'll see that I mention the lack of reinforcement (flared lip) to the Headtube on 80sSean's frame. I think frames from 1998 onwards all had this, including the 1999 King Kikapu.

Maybe trying to match the colour with a catalogue model is a red herring.

Pip.

Re:

Yeah seems to be, of course some years the catalogue pictures one colour but were avail in others too. Also Spain seems quite good for unusual colour combos we didn’t get....

Latest posts

Back