Does this frame exist?

Re:

I would say look at the 1990 Rocky Mountains too, earlier and 1-1/8" wasn't in the market as such.
They had many styles each with different geometry for different purposes.
Bottom end used triple butted or similar frames, mid range usually used the top end tubing.

27.2 will be another problem, you'd need to be flexible on that as most stopped at 27.0 at the time, only later would 27.2 or larger with different tubesets and techniques become a standard.

What would you class as relaxed geometry?
A year earlier and you'd be half a degree 'better' at 70/73 or less.

Re:

Essentially what I'm after is a slacker geometry early period frame/forks that I could fit an all-modern build kit to, so 1x11, wide risers, dropper, etc.

27.2mm seatpost and top tube cable routing is essential for the dropper as I'd want to use the front mech stops for the cable, and the smallest diameter dropper is 27.2mm.

1988 Muddy Foxes look great with a 67deg head angle, but downtube cable routing - as do the Saracens of that era. In fact, almost everything pre-1990 or so runs at least two cables down the down tube; all three if they're running a chainstay U-brake.

Ah well, it was only idle musing anyway!

Re: Re:

gradeAfailure":1ebhsd3z said:
1988 Muddy Foxes look great with a 67deg head angle, but downtube cable routing - as do the Saracens of that era. In fact, almost everything pre-1990 or so runs at least two cables down the down tube; all three if they're running a chainstay U-brake.

Ah well, it was only idle musing anyway!
Well seems to have caught our attention :)

Not all Marin catalogues list head angles but those that do (post 90) show 71 deg for the sporty range and 70 for all lower bikes and hybrids.
Not sure if 88/89 were different but I doubt it

Tricky1977":nrd8h0wv said:
Wouldn’t early 90s Marins be aggressive?
‘93 was certainly reviewed as being aggressive race geometry.

The late 80s ones were super relaxed, after around 1992 they got far more twitchy.
A pal had a 1988 Palisades, we all borrowed it BITD and nicknamed it 'the flying armchair'

Re:

Top tube didn't really come till turn of the 90s, 80 and late 80s not even Rocky really did (maybe the wedge did, but it just wasn't the thing), at which point they (Shimano & Suntour) brought out top pull front mechs to make use of this new trend.

Though if you want slacker angles on early 90s bikes, fit a longer fork ;-). A good four or five inches longer should get you to 68deg.

Re:

If you just want the retro look or ethos have you considered a stooge?
WP_20190626_16_53_39_Pro1.jpg

Sounds like a fun project. What about adding top tube cable stops? Either the zip tie type or drilling some holes and the bolt on type.

Re:

I can get stuff brazed or silver soldered at work (in fact, I'm going to replace all the cable stops on my Voodoo Wanga frame with cable tie mounts as I hate exposed cable inners) but if I do this I'd want to keep the frame and forks as original as possible, paint and all. I know it doesn't necessarily make sense, but nor does a lot of stuff to do with old bikes..!

Back