Rockshox rs-1 rebuild advices please

biglev

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi Guys,

I am rebuilding a set of 1990 rs-1's (with the last rebuild kit on the planet according to prices!) . It says to put ATF fluid in (which varies massively in cst weight) would you put ATF in ( i have the correct redline fluid) or would you put in shock/fork oil. If so is a finish line 7.5 weight close enough.

Advice welcome.
p5pb17639981.jpg

I had ATF in some of my old forks. And I would do it again.
Those forks were meant to run with ATF because fork fluid wasn't around yet ;)

Good to know. I have the red line that come out between a 5wt and 7.5wt in cst weight. maybe that will be fine and atf can take a beating without being changed. I am just used to shock oil so a bit nervous as its the last kit I can find so what ever i put in may have to last the next 20 years!!.

Presumably this is just lots of basic o-rings? Couldn't you size them all up and get another kit together with new ones from an engineering supplier? I can't imagine there were too many bespoke parts in there.

Re:

I also have some RS-1's to service, I looked into it and as Cloverleaf mentioned a lot of the parts are generic o-rings etc. It may take a while to source the correct sizes, but should be possible.
As for oil, I was going to use regular 7.5wt fork oil, ATF would work also, I just hsoen to have fork oil spare.

thanks jimo746 my gut says use fork oil as that's what is for. i have 7.5 finish line so i may use that unless there is a reason no to. i am also researching the fork seals but found that they may be they look like 25.4x35x6.5 but i have to work out what there is in imperial and find a rotary seal to fit. 1" x 1"3/8 x 1/4

cheers

biglev":2pmtu6hs said:
thanks jimo746 my gut says use fork oil as that's what is for. i have 7.5 finish line so i may use that unless there is a reason no to. i am also researching the fork seals but found that they may be they look like 25.4x35x6.5 but i have to work out what there is in imperial and find a rotary seal to fit. 1" x 1"3/8 x 1/4

cheers

By the sounds of it - If you did piece together a generic kit using your new old stock kit as a reference source there would be a market for them with a decent mark up

Re:

The wipers are the hard part to find, oil seals should be the same as the mag20/21s I have the measurements to check somewhere.
I found the combination of inner/outer was impossible to find, but I think I now have a larg-ish stick of originals for me to work through (could be judy though).
Must dig out the box.

Otherwise find the metric closest and iirc.they worked fine. I might have it in my notes somewhere.

Use fork oil if you have it, 10/7.5wt, eventually they moved to 5wt later in the series.
The biggest difference is the bushes.

Are they modified aircaps you're fitting?

@fluffychickien - cool i will go with 7.5wt. yeah they are the Risse schrader valve upgrades. should stop the needle valve rubber leaking issue. do you have mag kits to hand as my mag 21 need doing next and i only have enduro oil seals.

Back