Classic Kona Seatpost options

mr-mac

Retro Guru
Right so the older 1995ish era kona frames. Cromo and Easton seem to have 27.0mm seat posts.

So far I have seen a Thomson and an old Raceface XY, a few kona posts and some old road stuff, shimano DX, possible a ritchey WCS (original alloy 1990’s one) and that’s about it.

Thinking a thread where we can list as many options of make/model as possible to help out anyone looking for an alternative post. Info on web seems very scarce. I started hunting as wanted something that may take a little sting out of the Alu frame and post (which I always found brilliant but a bit uncomfortable and clattery at rear)

So

Thomson Elite
Ritchey WCS (original alloy)
Shimano DX
Kona Race Light O-beam........

Over to you guys

Re:

I rarely fit period correct components to any of my frames, so this list may cause offence to some. Here are most of my older bikes with their 27.0mm Seat Posts, then a list after that of Posts that I have archived.

93 Kilauea - Ritchey / Kalloy / Uno (Nitto copy).

95 Kula - Kona Race Light O-Beam In-line.

96 Ku - USE Alien.

97 Explosif - BBB SkyScraper BSP-20.

97 Koa - Kona Race Lite Tahoma.

97 King Kahuna & 98 Hei Hei - Race Face X-Y.

98 Hot - Ritchey Comp.

XTR SP-M910.

Titec X-Wing.

Zoom SP-50.

Syncros Aluminium.

Syncros Titanium.

PZ Racing C3MB.

BBB Skyscraper.

Pip

Re:

No offence to me...

Would love either titanium to match the colour of bontrager ti tec bar or carbon to match the pace RC36 evo iii but think that’s not gonna happen so thought if we find a full list of avails it would help loads of retro kona people

Never really had any problems finding 27.0 seatposts. Have a couple of Ringle moby posts, Syncros Ti, Thomson, a few cheaper models and some Kona which are probably Kalloy. Ritchey too. Oh, and a few USE shims and a stack of posts too.

I think the Kona 26.6 is a harder size to find decent posts for.

Re:

Well isn’t that weird....

Took post out and it appears to be 26.8????

Read a few places it’s 27 seatpost but as I bought bike new I know for sure it’s the seatpost that came with it?????

Acht ffs weird

Re:

Syncros made pretty much every possible seatpost size, a 27.0 may not be common anymore but there have to be lots out there.

I do agree about 26.6 being a rare oddball. I've been looking for something nice to go on my 94 Cinder Cone, a cheap Kalloy seems to be the only option with enough length for me.

Re:

Reckon the 26.8 has been fitted later (think mine was swept back and this is straight) and missing the K race light logo....

So my mother has had it swapped to a straight one to gain a few inches less reach.

So 27 should be used but tbh this 26.8 seems a decent fit, not particularly loose and seat postdoesnt seem to need tightened too far to get it to work or anything.

Re:

Was originally looking for comfier than alu on alu frame.

So carbon or titanium but few and far between on 27.0mm

Got a fat bastard saddle with some suspension in it so may do that job.

Red would be cool to match the pace renthal rc sub130 bar. But again probs hard to find. Thinking I may try and anodise a standard kona post and see how it goes, dylon scarlet looks good for diy anodising

Attachments

• 34366CE2-0288-478B-8FA0-556D9CEFF985.jpeg
    34366CE2-0288-478B-8FA0-556D9CEFF985.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 237
Back