same route 2 totally different bikes, 1 retro 1 modern...

Which is fatser?

• 2008 Fisher

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • 1989 MBK

Votes: 26 78.8%

• Total voters

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
...which was faster?

2008 Fisher Supercaliber

file.php

1989 MBK Tracker

file.php

Both bikes are serviced (although the Fisher started creaking) and in good condition mechanically

Rider is 90kg

distance is 24.5 miles of mixed woodland/ bridlepath/ grass field

average speed was 12.4mph

Re:

If that was the Average speed, both the same.
Or really you have no idea and you enjoyed a nice ride?

Any cake stops to slow you down ?

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":tam9045x said:
Any cake stops to slow you down ?

Cake DOES NOT! slow you down! *Fake News*

Logic says the Fisher should be the quicker bike, so I vote for the MBK... :D

Re:

Don't you mean which retro bike is faster, the old full suss or the really old rigid? ;) A modern bike would have bigger wheels! :eek:

MBK FTW?

On trails that smooth, your full sus would just slow you down so I'd go for the MBK.

Wouldn't class the Fisher as modern though, an awful lot has changed in the world of full sus in the last 11 years.

When this site was started, the Fisher was the future.

Its modern. It has bearings and not bushes, it has an external BB, it has lockout on the forks and rear shock. It has hydraulic brakes.

Its modern. So don't try and start any silly arguments or it will be biscuits and cat pictures again.

Just which do you think is faster.

:LOL: The stem length, bar width and rise, fork angle, reach and wheelbase didn't go on to become the future.

My money's still on the retrobike being faster over that terrain.

Re:

What goes around comes around... Just as modern gravel bikes are similar to 80's MTBs, in a few years time MTBs will go back to short toptubes, long and low stems, and 26" wheels. We just need to wait until sales of 29" and 27.5" slow down enough, and the kids if today realise that 90's MTBs fit and handle so much better :LOL:

My vote is for the MBK :)

Some of you (yes you there, check shirt and the beard) missing the point entirely as usual.

here it is in CAPITALS: WHICH DO YOU THINK IS FASTER?

not: LETS DEBATE ON WHATS MODERN OR NOT.

There are reasons as to why bikes look the way they do at the moment and if you want to start a thread, then by all means do so, why not try 'WHY DO I NEED 720MM WIDE BARS?' or 'WHY DOES MY FRONT WHEEL KEEP FLOPPING FROM SIDE TO SIDE'. Best do it in the 1998 thread though.

Re: Re:

foz":2i8xiofp said:
What goes around comes around... Just as modern gravel bikes are similar to 80's MTBs, in a few years time MTBs will go back to short toptubes, long and low stems, and 26" wheels. We just need to wait until sales of 29" and 27.5" slow down enough, and the kids if today realise that 90's MTBs fit and handle so much better :LOL:

My vote is for the MBK :)

Now I'm froffing at the mouth again, lets look at some of those what goes around things before the nurse takes my crayons away.

31.8mm bars - oooh, I have a quill stem here somewhere that can take those, in fact my Verlicchi (Iron Horse/ Kona/ Rudy Project) had a stem just like that pre ahead system

Oooh oooh! Aheadsets! 1930's French 650b bicycles had those, used off road, inspiration for the 'gravel grinder'

Oooh oooh! 650B off road! see above...

hydraulic disc brakes - Shimano - 1974, disc and a hydraulic v-brake

Aha! But todays modern geometry!!!!! No, as Mr. Foz rightly points out, we've been there before

Electronic shifting! Thats modern, you cant beat that!!! Mavic Zap, Browning electronic chainset, not great but worked better than you might have thought given todays Di2 etc (which I made into a wireless system some 4 years ago, Ner!) {he did too!}

Susspenshun!!!! Nah, Marzocchi have had it pretty much nailed since their Bomber range

Materials! Carbon fibre! Raleigh, 1960's

Anyway, the internet renews everything every six months so long term memories are shorter and shorter when it comes to what is what these days. In the 1980's and 90's we only had the countryside, trail centres were almost unheard of. Uplifts were possibly a lift in the back of a Nova during a particularly wet day. Before that it was sturdy bikes with sturdy tyres and equally sturdy folk clambering up and down dale.

So there.

(Mmmmm! These crayons taste good today! Nurse! dammit Give them back! At least leave one, the red ones are nice...?)

Bugger.

Back