Does this frame exist?

gradeAfailure

Senior Retro Guru
Idly thinking about retro stuff today, and wondering if a frame with the following specs exists and is isn't classified as retro exotica with the associated inflated price tag...

Steel (decent steel, not gas pipe)
Pre-1990/"relaxed" geometry
Top tube cable routing
27.2mm seatpost
135mm rear (although 130mm could be tweaked out)
1 1/8" head tube

Anyone know of anything that fits the bill?

As there wouldnt have been much in the way of oversized tubing around at that time, not a lot!

Custom job maybe but off the shelf would be quite hard to find

By the early 1990's, maybe, but more likely to be alumniumiumumum

Look at the Peugeot 531 frames then, relaxed, bigger tubing etc

Also try Saracen Claud Butler, Wheeler, Shogun, Gary Fisher, Overbury's, Marin, all and more were out there with relaxed steel frames. Kona were a bit more racy

Theres loads from the late 1980's

An early 90's Marin would seem to fit your bill, theres plenty about still

Re:

In terms of exactly matching your spec, my 1990 Miyata RidgeRunner Team has all of the above.

Would need to double check its 27.2 and not 26.8, but otherwise all the stated are present [top tube guides / 1-1/8" HS / 135 Rear / relaxed geo, and very very high quality tubing made by Miyata themselves from their own tubing mills].

That's the only one I can immediately think of with all of the above - there are others which are close to fitting it but have a 1" HS etc so that rules them out from the quiz!

:LOL:

Re:

That's interesting...! Is it all three cables on the top tube, or just the rear brake? I'd be needing the former.

Wouldn’t early 90s Marins be aggressive?
‘93 was certainly reviewed as being aggressive race geometry.
However they did also make hybrids and I think the cheaper frames were more relaxed - certainly shorter top tubes. Would these be gas pipe? Part butted Tange CroMo? Possibly some non cromo popping up on some tubes on the lower end. Edit: just checked and 93 were all chromo and Sausalito and Redwood are the hybrids (more relaxed).

Depends what you mean/want of course :)

‘93 was 27.2mm and 1 1/8 as was 94
Edit: bottom pull front mech though

Maybe 89/90 were more relaxed? No idea

Re: Re:

gradeAfailure":2l5i0knd said:
That's interesting...! Is it all three cables on the top tube, or just the rear brake? I'd be needing the former.

It's all three on top.

It's not for sale though by the way (prize of my Miyatas!) but I was seeing this thread as a general query not a wanted ad, by account of it being posted in chat not wanted.

Apologies if that's not the case!

Re:

No, it's not a Wanted (yet!) - I was just idly wondering how old a frame I could get that would be able to be built up with a modern drivetrain, dropper, etc. Possible future project!

This frame will take a 30.9mm dropper post and might even be able to do a tapered fork with its 31.8mm headtube and a bit of wiggling,

But its aluminium (possibly a Rudy Project or something equally obscure)

file.php

Back