Build threads, the how, when & why / why not?

MR OX

Specialized Fan
Feedback
View
I have about five build threads on here some are better than others but I have re-built / built many bikes since coming here* (*due to coming here!) & not bothered posting them as they are either builds for friends / family or tip saves that I've found, fixed & re-homed, or just builds for the sake of tinkering.
I'm thinking alot of my better unposted builds maybe better reading that my personal builds.
So, your builds. Most are personal & epic but do you think there is a place for builds that aren't personal, just builds for the joy of building?
Also how do you put your build threads together?

Re:

My day-to-day retro's are just maintained and fixed where necessary (for example, my commuter is receiving a full new transmission this week - all new parts - doesn't really make for an interesting read) but I sometimes wish that I had done a build thread for some of the stuff I've put together using old spares - there's a lot more customising (bodging? :roll: ) done to make knackered & odd spares work, which I find much more interesting to read about.

Alas by the time it dawns on me that I should take photos, I've usually finished the build!

Re:

I tend to only create a build thread once the bike in question is complete or as near to complete as possible, so it's really a record of the journey, rather than a build to be followed.
The reason for this is that it's hard to keep up momentum on a build thread, especially if you are waiting on an elusive part, or funds, or if you have multiple builds on the go (like I currently do :facepalm: ).

My Pace has stalled - I have the bits I need, just no time.
My KHS is complete, gets more use than the others, just needs the story telling - and the build thread over hauling.
My Stumpjumper FS was completed ages ago, just no time to write it up.
My Stumpjumper needs a final tune and photographing, then writing up.
Both ATX's are about 50% through, everythings there, just no time.

You can keep all your builds accessible in your signature.
Once they are all done I plan to do a 'Here's my fleet' thread, with a snapshot of each.

Yup, mine are bit like the Fluffy poultry’s… :D mainly for my own amusement.
If someone chips in then that’s cool and I’m as happy making a thread for my family's bikes as I am my own……

I think I’ve got about 5 open-ended/un-finished floating around…. :facepalm:

Some of mine have gone on years - and on the other hand I’ve got a few bike without a build thread that I build at my own leisure and whilst taking pictures I just never got round to posting anything

If you post you often get help with finding elusive parts but you also open yourself up for other people’s opinions- which can/cannot always be helpful

Re:

I don't do a build thread for every single bike, or else some of them would just be "pumped up the tyres, adjusted the brakes, gave it a clean... Build complete" :LOL:

I tend to do a build thread for bikes that undergo a full makeover, change of groupset, respray, that kind of thing.

Don't forget, once the bike is built it doesn't mean it has to be the end of the build thread, most of mine are ever changing :facepalm: so I update the thread accordingly, some have had "build threads" spanning several years, more of a documenting of the bikes life if you like.

Ultimately though, post whatever build threads you like, there's some really interesting bikes with minimal "build" going on in the thread, and also some very average bikes with some amazing transformations taking place. :)

I also find they are a useful source of notes, when I do eventually go back to a build it’s like “ahh, so that’s what I thinking...”

I’m glad it’s not just me who does it just for the sake of tinkering. I hardly ride :D
My justification is that bikes are easier than cars to play with and more rewarding than Lego/Radio control cars, which I will also never use.

I mean, I do ride them a little, but it’s probably 10% of the time versus the tinkering, fitting new bits, or stripping and cleaning.

Back to topic, my build threads are terrible because I rarely finish and never have a set idea what I’m doing.

Re:

I'm definitely a fan of the build thread.

Many of my bikes have come to me in need of a complete respray and rebuild. I like to show the journey of how I got there and problems encountered as no 2 bikes have been the same.

It also gives me the motivation to finish a build - especially if it hasn't moved on for sometime and someone asks …...Is it done yet?

I'd like to think they act as a useful resource to anyone completing a similar build or just wants to find out more about a particular bike. My RC100 thread was pretty detailed as there are a lot of specific features on this bike, others like the Ridgeback asked more questions like suitability of parts.

MR OX":3fgr9d3q said:
Also how do you put your build threads together?

For me… it's got to have
Pictures where you started from
Research pics - catalogue scans/magazine article scans
Pics of details/ problem areas and the technologies I used to solve them.
Finished pics (and eventually a ride report …..time / weather permitting ;) )

Pictures speak a thousand words. :D

I like the 'pulling up a chair' comment - I've got chairs set up everywhere. I can sit in a different chair most days and read through a decent build thread!

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Back