First generation Extralite F1, frame painting.

Gerard

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I need another bike (and yes I still have a list of must haves) like a hole in the head.....but this was a steal at the price!

It is first generation F1, so 1996. It seems to have been repainted. Looking at it there are specs of yellow in the seat tube. The ads from MBUK show a yellow one which I really like.
So anyone any idea what yellow this might be for colour matching?
Respray. Is this best left to the experts....or is it worth trying?

F1%20x%20sea.jpg

Or do I go 'au naturel'

F1%20x%20paper.jpg

Got to be better than the current green........

48577949427_64044cd07e_b.jpg

The yellow is very nice but I like the green also & if the green is of good quality I personally would keep it. It would be cool if you could get some decals from the factory.

Nice.... prefer the yellow personally.... and I agree with our teenage chum...Powder-coat is as cheap as a rattle can self spraying job, but way tougher obviously. Just need to get the right dude who knows about coating bikes....

Dare I say it that’s quite AMP like to the untrained eye, I’m sure if you put an AMP next to it (B1 onwards) they’re very different

Very clean and tidy (elegant) design and should build into a very nice lightweight XC missile - would be nice to see it with 1.9 or less tyres on it
Rather like the signal yellow in the picture but with that frame being as pleasing on the eye as it is, it could wear almost any colour exceptionally well, Argos do a Flamboyant range of paints which would really suit this frame - Not entirely sure how the process works but I think it’s a coloured lacquer sprayer over a silver base coat to give the depth/shine/zingy vibrancy

First job has to be to Solvol all that patina | crap and oxidation off the rear end and get it back sparkly again (should come up like a nice new pin)

Anyway will one of these be on the shopping list ?

Attachments

• BD6D65B0-E21F-4FA8-A510-395DCEF9C898.jpeg
    BD6D65B0-E21F-4FA8-A510-395DCEF9C898.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 520
My_Teenage_Self":swljmhtr said:
Lovely frame.

Take my advice, get it powder coated!

Thanks Steve I will look into powder coating...of course I might save a few grams if I don't save all the faffing over calibrating scales and weighing cassettes! :LOL: :facepalm:

adri.75":swljmhtr said:
Hi Gerard,

try to ask directly to the factory Extralite, the owner (RIVA) is always the same, maybe he can help you!

https://www.extralite.com/

Adri, I will do that. They may also have decals... :D

quote="CTK"]The yellow is very nice but I like the green also & if the green is of good quality I personally would keep it. It would be cool if you could get some decals from the factory.[/quote]

The Green really is not a good job. It just comes of with you fingernail. The idea of contacting Extralite for decals is a good one and I will do so. Fingers crossed.

Retro Spud":1plm3d2f said:
Dare I say it that’s quite AMP like to the untrained eye, I’m sure if you put an AMP next to it (B1 onwards) they’re very different

It is in effect an AMP B4. The only difference is the seat tower is welded, not bolted. The F2 which was later and has the "X link" is more like a B5.
AMP had a patent on the the suspension in the USA but not Europe....which meant the European manufacturers could sell their bikes outside of USA. This apparently is why Scott sold only hardtails in the US. In fact very few European suspension bikes were sold in US for fear of falling fowl of the patent Ironically the chain stay guard, is a sticker saying "Horst Link" Patented Pend....so maybe Extralite licensed it. Ironically the Horst Link is effectively a McPherson Strutt, which was patented in 1947! So as they say....noting new in cycling!

Very clean and tidy (elegant) design and should build into a very nice lightweight XC missile - would be nice to see it with 1.9 or less tyres on it
Rather like the signal yellow in the picture but with that frame being as pleasing on the eye as it is, it could wear almost any colour exceptionally well, Argos do a Flamboyant range of paints which would really suit this frame - Not entirely sure how the process works but I think it’s a coloured lacquer sprayer over a silver base coat to give the depth/shine/zingy vibrancy

You give me ideas....but maybe keep it original. I'm in two minds at the moment. I need to see some ideas of colour schemes probably.......

U-Jack-detail-medium-1024x1024.jpg

Viola-chiaro-900x60.jpg

Sea-Salt-Bronze-900x67.jpg

Light-Flam-Blue-900x57.jpg

Italian-Yellow-1-695x700.jpg

Tango-Orange-698x700.jpg

Too much choice :facepalm:

First job has to be to Solvol all that patina | crap and oxidation off the rear end and get it back sparkly again (should come up like a nice new pin)

Maybe, maybe I will buy some of the magic polishing paste of which you speak...and polish! Very unlike me, I have to add.

Anyway will one of these be on the shopping list ?

You need a winter project Nick and something to distract you from thinking of Mayhem.
I have to say I'm quite impressed with it. really weighs nothing. Shock is easy to work on....have to see how it is to ride. The AMP rear shocks were not their strong point on the B$s (b£ doesn't seem so bad but is different in size).

I’ve got lots of lose ends to keep me busy over winter - but I’ll still find time to break into your garage and polish that rear end to a mirror finish and whilst there also that amazing Naked Amp that’s screaming out to me like the paining by Edvard Munch for some of this.....

Autosol for first pass, followed by the king of all metal polish Peeks

Attachments

• 939AE7B6-BE4B-4BE1-9C07-A610916B1CD0.jpeg
    939AE7B6-BE4B-4BE1-9C07-A610916B1CD0.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 488
  • A9707540-BF79-4F3A-89F1-ACA9208CEFB0.jpeg
    A9707540-BF79-4F3A-89F1-ACA9208CEFB0.jpeg
    36.6 KB · Views: 488
Back