Couple of finds

Calamity Al

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

Thought I'd share these here, and possibly try and date the bikes.

I went to a local bike auction yesterday, to try and find my wife a useable bike. Like you do I came back with 5 bikes, luckily I went in the T4!

Took a punt on an old Kona, and Marin Bobcat. Although the Kona has a mismatch of parts, it pretty much functions as a bike should, apart from the nasty forks it's really very good, and will probably take over from my Orange Clockwork. The frame and paint on the Bobcat are great, but it pretty much needs everything else so will be passing this project on to someone else

Any info on these bikes would be appreciated, as well as any suggestions for period correct forks for the Kona

Cheers

Al

Calamity Al":37br6oak said:
Any info on these bikes would be appreciated, as well as any suggestions for period correct forks for the Kona

Cheers

Al

The Fire Mountain is a 1994 model, and would have been supplied with Triple Butted Project Two forks 410mm C-A.

I'm sure someone will tell you about the Marin.

Pip

Edit: C-A

Re:

Hi,

It's a 1997 Marin Bobcat Trail missing the Alivio brake levers from its original spec.

26+Bobcat+Trail.jpg

-Turkka

Tricky1977":3s5oxpsv said:
Great finds. Can I ask what they cost?

£14 for the kona, £10 for the Marin.

Had to put pedals on the kona, and about half an hour tinkering to get it usable. Very tatty paint.

Tricky1977":1u94jwjq said:
Wow that’s a great deal though

Yes, very happy. Shame the Bobcat needs more attention than I can give it at the moment, the frame looks great.

I'm not bothered about the paint on the Kona, i'll keep it mechanically sound but it will be a 'chuckinthebackofthevanandabuse' type of bike!

You could probably flip the bobcat for parts. The stem, bars and seatpost are usually good quality. The tyres look nice, tan walls, just depends on condition

Back