SPD shoes that you can actually walk in.

Re:

I think Sport Direct have started to do their karrimor style walking shoe/boots with spd bike usage.

Of course it comes down to what you think is fashionable.

I've had a few pairs of cheap Karrimor shoes, they're OK, but they don't last particularly long; the soles seem to wear out fast and they get scruffy pretty quickly. That being said, I walk a fair bit, sometimes 20 or 30 miles a week, but they deffinately don't last as long as the Merrell shoes I've had.

I got these last year and haven't looked back.

They look well made, the uppers look very similar in construction to my Merrell trail shoes, which I absolutely love, but those colour options are a bit lairy for my tastes. Also I'd prefer standard laces to velcro straps or those dial things.

These are more to my taste, the styling isn't too "busy" and colour is muted; I don't dress like a childrens T.V. presenter. :D But they are a flat shoes:

1259b.jpg

Maybe what I want doesn't really exist and I should stick to flat shoes.

NO!

hqdefault.jpg

Re:

Guy at work swears by his Shimano MT44 trainers, you wouldn't think they were spd shoes.
I use the old Shimano AM45, as mentioned they look like mtb shoes, but are actually OK to walk short distances.

Have a look at this link below, something more touring oriented might be the best of both worlds...

https://bicycletouringpro.com/stylish-s ... ing-shoes/

Re:

Those Specialized don't look too bad.

I'm wary of Shimano shoes, I have a pair Shimano MT41, they are a bit narrow for my flipper feet and hopeless for walking in; the soles flex about as much as a brick.

I'm going to have to find somwhere I can actually try before I buy.

Been riding in Shimano MT71 for a while now on the commuter and I like them:

2293H54.JPG

The sole flexibility is always a trade-off. Either flexible enough to walk in comfortably but they're too floppy on the bike or rigid enough for good power transfer and they're uncomfortable off the bike. These have got a good compromise to me.

Next pair I won't be buying the Goretex waterproof ones, they're great until you ride in really wet conditions, when the water runs down your legs and fill your shoes up it can't get out and you end up with a kilo of water in each shoe.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":3d0yq9xl said:
Shimano MT's can walk in, stiffer sole but I don't know what this widdle is all about, maybe the roadie style shoes?)

Also/Lidl do down comfy to walk in.shoes, more flexible soles etc. Or at least they did.
Not the best for anything more than a commute or a quick trip out.

The MT are noticeably better when on the bike.
You're arch is better supported, you don't bend over the pedals as much.
Ankle support in the boot style versions.

I think Sport Direct have started to do their karrimor style walking shoe/boots with spd bike usage.

Of course it comes down to what you think is fashionable.

Sports direct do a Muddyfox range of shoes. I bought the tour 200 shoe (thinking more expensive would be better and last longer), they lasted less than a year before the hard plastic inner sole made an appearance through the outer rubber sole, which won't hold with glue. The uppers are fine and there isn't much wear in them at all, but the shoes are now junk. I replaced them with the Shimano MT shoe, which are better in all but water resistance. They also have the benefit of the cleat not being proud of the sole so you don't damage floors when you walk around, which both Muddyfox and the old Lidl shoes do.

Re:

I'd have taken them back to Sports Direct.

I'm still using some Shimano MT52s PottyMouth (AndyB) gave me many moons ago.

When I go riding, I wear them to the pub, cafes, drive in them etc.
And ride the bike.

Yes rigid soles especially compared to the flexible Laldi types of the same era but I don't notice anymore and great on the bike.

Not waterproof of course, quite cold in the winter wind. But warm waterproof sock are for that.

Back