Hope q/r, did they ever use a hexagonal axle?

MCsanandreas

Mountain Cycle Fan
Feedback
View
I have a set of old Hope hubs built into wheels and the axle seems to need to be hexagonal not round? Is this correct? Something Hope once did?
Seems very odd! I will have to ask the person I got them from the same question. If they do need this odd system are such things still available?

mk one":18taghyl said:
Do you mean the outer or inner of the axle?

The inner, the actual q/r rod I suppose that goes through the axle is what I mean. Just had a look and it is only the front the rear q/r is through a round hole.

It seems very strange.

Its been ages since i looked at older Hope hubs. I know some axles have hex ends to their axles for an allen key so you can undo them. Infact thinking about it im sure thats how you open Hope hubs up, im talking the Ti ones.

Going to dig one of mine out now :LOL:

mk one":10lr0qyd said:
Its been ages since i looked at older Hope hubs. I know some axles have hex ends to their axles for an allen key so you can undo them. Infact thinking about it im sure thats how you open Hope hubs up, im talking the Ti ones.

Going to dig one of mine out now :LOL:

It is an older hub as the disc has their 5 bolt mounting. As I said though the rear is "normal" the problem is even with the q/r done up it feels like the wheel is loose, I was thinking wheel bearing at first.

Would a fatter q/r rod do the job?

Re:

Ha! 5mm Allen key, that is the size of the hex. So you could be correct about it being a Ti hub? Now I need to find a fat q/r rod.

At least the bearings are fine.

Re:

I’m happy to be corrected but I’d be very surprised if it doesn’t take a standard qr, the hex key will only go in about 5 mm it will then be a standard qr through. The hex key is (probably) to undo and remove the qr axle allowing you to convert it to 20mm through axle if it’s a bulb hub and I think it was on some of the bigun as well. Unless it a ti or sus hub in which case I’m not sure. I’ll get you some pics of my bulb tomorrow to show you.

Just had a look at a front hub and the inside of the spindle is threaded at one end not allen bolt shape. Might be on later Hopes, ah, just seen post above, it will be a late one then :)

Like above, the hex will only be a little way down to undo it, and 5mm is the diameter of the QR that fits through 9mm Spindles so yes, standard 9mm QR.

Bulb fronts unscrew as the axle is in two halves. Both the early 5 bolt rotor version that takes a disc adaptor and the later 6 bolt use the same type of two piece axle. Rears are a solid axle usually. I cant think of one that screws into itself :?
Except for a ti glide that was specced on an early DH, lawwill i think :? but this isnt that as it screwed in with a spanner. Yours i believe sounds like a bulb.*

*Pro 3 fronts use the same axle, as do sport hubs if i remember correctly.

I think a pic is needed. Download and install 'Pic resizer for windows' and its easy from there, step by step instructions.

The two axles are slightly different with the later one rotor side projects further, and on the 5 bolt the spacing is even.

Pic of old bulb (5 bolt version) you see that the spacing is even. Does yours look like tis, or does the disc side stick out further as in pic two ?
Pic 1

Pic 2

Attachments

• BULB (Custom).jpg
    BULB (Custom).jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 434
  • 6 bolt bulb (Custom).jpg
    6 bolt bulb (Custom).jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 434
Re:

Thanks Andy you said it better than I could, as I said here are some pics.

Op I think this is like yours (a bulb with 5 bolt spider)

And a 6 bolt bulb (un done a bit)

Axle removed

With end cap for 20mm axle.

Hope that helps.

Back