Muddy Waters no more.....Muddy Fox.....the early Years.

sinnerman":1g4ogu3n said:
The Muddy fox....Holy Grail for me has to be the limited edition handbuilt bike that Jacquie Phelan was pictured with in the last post. A legendary bike and a legendary rider, and such an icon image too, on the river bank in wales after competing in the Man V Horse V bike.

It is the Image best remembered from all of it for me.

Just a bit of clarification, the bike that Jackie's posing next to is a Monarch, not the Ltd. Edition. It was my bike, well it was the bike I was campaigning that season.
I wasn't a top racer but I could usually finish in the top third of the field and Ari and Drew thought I should be representing the company with something a bit better than the Pathfinder.
I customised that bike for competition, including fitting a sample Nitto aluminium Bullmoose bar/stem and narrow Saturne rims from Caratti Sport.
The Nitto bars had a rider weight limit which I'm sure I exceeded, but I had no problems with them. I haven't seen another one of these bars since.
I'm a bit over 6' tall and it's a 22" frame but seat was set low to make it look more like it's sized for Jackie.
In Jeremy Torr and Max Glaskin's Mountain Bike Book, there's also a pic of the bike being washed by some enterprising local youths out the back of the Neuadd Arm Pub after the M. v H. v MTB race.

dwnz":3jctfzwj said:
sinnerman":3jctfzwj said:
The Muddy fox....Holy Grail for me has to be the limited edition handbuilt bike that Jacquie Phelan was pictured with in the last post. A legendary bike and a legendary rider, and such an icon image too, on the river bank in wales after competing in the Man V Horse V bike.

It is the Image best remembered from all of it for me.

Just a bit of clarification, the bike that Jackie's posing next to is a Monarch, not the Ltd. Edition. It was my bike, well it was the bike I was campaigning that season.
I wasn't a top racer but I could usually finish in the top third of the field and Ari and Drew thought I should be representing the company with something a bit better than the Pathfinder.
I customised that bike for competition, including fitting a sample Nitto aluminium Bullmoose bar/stem and narrow Saturne rims from Caratti Sport.
The Nitto bars had a rider weight limit which I'm sure I exceeded, but I had no problems with them. I haven't seen another one of these bars since.
I'm a bit over 6' tall and it's a 22" frame but seat was set low to make it look more like it's sized for Jackie.
In Jeremy Torr and Max Glaskin's Mountain Bike Book, there's also a pic of the bike being washed by some enterprising local youths out the back of the Neuadd Arm Pub after the M. v H. v MTB race.

That's great info, ill dig that book out too and try and post a picture, bloody shame you dont still have the bike,

Sinnerman, looking at the spec on the limited edition, it lists a 13-50 6 speed Suntour freewheel, do you happen to know if this is a typo? Or was, as you quite often find, one of the latest innovations actually available 30 years ago?

benjabbi":298knwde said:
Sinnerman, looking at the spec on the limited edition, it lists a 13-50 6 speed Suntour freewheel, do you happen to know if this is a typo? Or was, as you quite often find, one of the latest innovations actually available 30 years ago?

Im the wrong person to answer that question you need a suntour expert, but my guess is it was doubtful, I dont think I ever saw a Winner Pro freewheel with a larger sprocket than 38 teeth, but that said the sprockets were interchangeable. Looking at the picture though I wouldn't have said it was 50.

:?

Thanks, yes I thought it was probably a typo, the picture doesn't look like a 50t. Just for a moment though, I had thoughts of going 1x with a 36t front 13-50 rear on the Stumpy with period parts!

That's great info, ill dig that book out too and try and post a picture, bloody shame you dont still have the bike,[/quote]

Yeah, I would have liked to keep it but Ari really wanted it to stay with the company when I left.
I read a post somewhere a year of two back that identified it from its current owner. I thought it was a post on this forum but a current search reveals nowt.

My recollections -

13-30T was one of the standard Suntour New Winner combinations. Certainly there was nothing larger back then than the 38T found on the rare 5 speed Suntour AG Tech freewheel.
It was essentially the 14-34T Perfect freewheel with the 34T replaced by the 38T, leaving a large ratio jump from the 28T to the 38T. It required the matching AG tech derailleur

And as if by magic it appears on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Muddy-Fox-Th ... SwOHNdSFKv

I'm not really searching too much any more as we have too many bikes but I still sometimes browse the foxes in case a prestige pro comes up.

Messaged the seller and linked this thread so he may visit. It's in pristine condition too.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
drcarlos":2rld5jy4 said:
And as if by magic it appears on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Muddy-Fox-Th ... SwOHNdSFKv

I'm not really searching too much any more as we have too many bikes but I still sometimes browse the foxes in case a prestige pro comes up.

Messaged the seller and linked this thread so he may visit. It's in pristine condition too.

I posted it this afternoon too on ebay marketplace, the minute i saw it. as pristine as any survivor can be, shame the tyres and saddle are long gone, but the rest all seems intact.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
:shock: how much ! :shock:
I have one thats 100% original + the optional frame pad & Muddyfox branded rack :D .

Back