First MTB's

First one was a rather tired mid eighties Saracen Kili Flyer in grey with red decals which was pretty heavy from memory, followed by a massive upgrade to a '92 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp in the pinky/red which I loved but sadly had stolen in a house break in whilst a student. The actual bike was on this forum a few years ago and I now have an identical bike, plus a few others... ;)

First mtb wasn't it's a toss up between the dump built Raleigh equipe with cowhorns and bent out weinmann levers and a 1984 vindec that survived considerable abuse off road.

First proper new mtb ....saracen toughtrax 1986. Heavy, strange frame geometry and yellow.

In late 91' my dad bought me a SH Raleigh Mustang with 24" wheels so I could do my paper round in a sensible time, this lasted about 6 months before I got hit by a Capri, writing it off.
The bug had bit though, so August 92', Supabikes in Wellingborough, heart set on a Raleigh Amazon, came out with an MBK Adventure it had 200 rather than 100GS and was slightly cheaper!
It was 19.5" and massive but I'd 'grow into it', I eventually reached the heady heights of 5'6", it'd still be too big! That was nicked! Mum and Dad couldn't afford a replacement, thankfully the local bike shop (Oakley Cycles, Rushden, where I later ended up working) allowed me to pay off a 93' Diamondback Topanga weekly, taking the bike upfront! This was 18" so a step in the right direction, I used it a lot, I broke stuff a lot so it was upgraded a lot. Eventually I swapped the frame for a 16.5" 92' Giant Granite, finally one that fits! Still ride it now and while it might have the least value of all my bikes, I'd be devastated if it went missing! After this came the first 'proper' bike, a SH 93' Orange Prestige, that was it I'd hit the big-time, it was awesome at the time (rose tinted Frogskins), I got it back a couple of years ago and whilst I'll never get rid of it, I have others I'd pick first including the aforementioned Giant!

Haha, Nedmundo, I'd forgotten about them, still going strong(ish) today, not been in there for years though! Hmm, might pop in at the weekend just for nostalgias sake! Wonder if the stock levels have changed, never used to be anything in there!

1. Raleigh mustang (Destroyed by brother).
2. Kirk Precision (Cracked....amazingly)
3. Diamondback Ascent EX (Destroyed by brother).
4. Kirk Revolution (Cracked).
5. Kirk Revolution (Warranty replacement then cracked after Kirk went under).

Raleigh Mustang 15spd when I was around 10 years old in '93, but when I actually got into off road riding it was a Diamond Back Accent EX with full LX 8spd groupset in around '97... modded, road to death until I ripped the headtube off :(

Re:

bit of love for these old mustangs BITD wasnt there, they were solid bikes I'll say that.

IMG-20190717-161055.jpg

Back