Northern retro MTB show meet June 2020 - update Page5

Re:

Sounds great Lee, and I'd be up for it certainly.

Just to clarify on one comment that riled me though - ICONOCLASSIC was never about pristine unobtainable bikes.

If you had attended you'd have noticed that was far from the case.

Of course there were Kleins and Yetis and the like, but the majority of bikes were mainstream models of the era.

I've not idea where the 'elitist' badge for the show came from, it certainly wasn't from me, and those who came to the shows I'm sure would not have felt it.

In fact, I went to lengths to ensure that wasn't the case.

When you put on a show, you can't dictate what people bring - if those that arrive have a Yeti and a Klein so be it.

There has never, ever been a requirement that bikes on show be 'boutique' show bikes or 'high end' - only requirement was that they were clean.

For a 'Show and Shine' I don't feel that's an unreasonable request is it? Obviously some do, but of course you can't please all.

Lee - see you in 2020.

Can I bring my Raleigh Mustang or should I stick to the Klein?

Re: Re:

BoyBurning":36nsbrj9 said:
Just to clarify on one comment that riled me though - ICONOCLASSIC was never about pristine unobtainable bikes.

If you had attended you'd have noticed that was far from the case.

Agree completely, but for those that never attended it probably needed to be made clear that Iconoclassic wasnt all polished pups, but thats what a lot of people brought ................ and what a lot of people wanted to see, me I like exage equipped mtbs, most people have fond memories of owning one BITD, if I still have them by then I will be bringing a marin with exage county and a Dawes wildcat with exage trail ....

BoyBurning":36nsbrj9 said:
Can I bring my Raleigh Mustang or should I stick to the Klein?

Definately Raleigh mustang .... tourney or sis edition?

Re:

I don't want to take any further attention away from Lee, as I think what he's planning will be brilliant. Mustang is pre SIS by the way. ;)

Just to counter a little though, here's the very first post made on the forum about the other show:

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=301478

Specifically:

"We would like a broad range of classic mountain bikes on show.  One aim for icon•o•classic is to get bikes that members of the public can relate to – possibly bikes the same as they might have owned themselves back in the day. The only requirements are that the bikes are from 1995 or earlier, and that they are presentable for what will in effect be a ‘show n’ shine’ event."

The other show was never about high end bikes. From the outset it was about bikes people could relate to from back in the day.

If you want to take anything else from what was actually stated as being the aim of the show, that is of course your prerogative. It was never a requirement of the other show, and it's sad that people may have thought that despite best efforts from the outset to avoid such thinking.

Re: Possible Northern show & shine meet ..... 2020

I will come, might only be able to bring 2 bikes though, depends on transport at the time.

Now having a row with Mrs Peachy as she says the only two weeks we can go away next year are at the end of July :cry: :cry:

Peachy!":qfxn0jjv said:
Now having a row with Mrs Peachy as she says the only two weeks we can go away next year are at the end of July :cry: :cry:
That's a shame the event will miss out on some fine bikes, there's a lot of water to go under the bridge yet tho. Hopefully Brexit will ban us all from travelling abroad by then... ;)

Re:

Count me in for half a dozen.... what's an 800 mile round trip in the height of summer to a big hairy bike pervert like me!

I would say one thing though, don't put the cart before the old nag.
Find out how much space you will be allocated, and we'll fill it.
Could be a problem tother way round.

al ☺

Re:

On another subject, I've just noticed I've been on the forum 12 years to the day.

Help me celebrate by sending cake.

Thank you.

al.

Back