Northern retro MTB show meet June 2020 - update Page5

retrobikeguy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Mods, sorry if this is in the wrong area but I hardly ever visit the rides/meets/events pages so I figure most like me won't.

Ok so the iconoclassic meet that many of us participated in in the past seems to not be happening.

Personally I loved it and thought it was well organised, some disagree but hey.... It's tough.

For those that did enjoy the finest era's in mountainbikes I was wondering (yet again) if we could muster up a similar event/meet? Location would be York, dates would coincide with the York cycle rally simply because it would be easier to arrange and we would have a captive audience.

The cycle rally itself has been going for years and after a brief stall a few years ago it has been revived by cycle loving people that think it was worth saving... Now granted, it's bread and butter has usually been CTC members, an 'older generation' (than us that is) but I feel they need some younger blood that has a different interest in cycling, that being reviving and preserving some of our UK mtb'ing heritage.

Now, I know this could work on the York scene, as I happened to be working on one of the stands and took a couple of my rides each day .... The bikes were the stars! Folks asking about them, where they came from, how the parts were found, reminiscing when they all had cool rides, just like at iconoclassic! I really did feel the buzz like in Wariwck all those years ago.

I need to see a show of hands, not 'yeah, that'd be great I'd come.... Maybe' but a more positive 'this I would do' sort of commitment and how many bikes you could bring so I can get an idea on numbers before I can go to the committee and try and blag a free spot in the main area, please be realistic both on attendance and numbers so I can be honest with them, As an idea for you all, I have at least 12 bikes I can bring and because I like litterally 2 mins from the racecourse I could bring em all..... Ideally well all need to bring stands too (these are things that stop bikes from falling over) but I'm sure we could manage with sticks/canes and zip ties too as it's on grass.

Era = I was a great love of BC - 1997 max, like Iconoclassic and would like to keep similar values IF this goes ahead,

So dates not announced yet for the rally but I'm guessing a weekend like June 20/21st which may coincide with other cycling events, venue is York racecourse , camping/campervan is available onsite via the organisers, there is food and beer available also and plenty of off licences, pubs or curry houses in the vicinity..... Onsite rules apply

http://yorkrally.org/

So..............Question is
Could this happen?

UPDATE =

I'll be compiling a list so we can get an idea on People, bikes and days available. if you can update me in the thread it'll help me guage what attendance and pitch size I will be trying to blag, I'm hoping they'll see something different that could attract a larger audience and as such allow a simple two line or two down the centre of the arena.

If you wish to stay both days campsite imformation will be available once the dates are announced ...... a good show on both days would be nice :)

REVISED LIST
Retrobikeguy, 10+ bikes, both days
jimo746, 3bikes, both days
Marc two tone, 1 bike, both days
iveto1983, 4 bikes, both days
Benandemu, 5 bikes. both days
Corduroyboy, 6-12 bikes, both days
dalbyinthe90s, 2 bikes, both days
Neilios, 3-4 bikes, both days

Re: Possible Northern show & shine meet .....

Sign me up, I could comfortably bring four of a high standard/finish just as long as it doesn’t clash with the family holiday which we normally take earlier in July..

Re: Re:

yakboy":15dxq9r7 said:
Are we talking 2020 and not this year? If so I'll be there :D

Yeah 2020 fella.

Weather this year was perfect .... got a proper tan

IMG-20190622-110241.jpg

Re: Possible Northern show & shine meet ..... 2020

Yup, I'd be happy to bring along maybe 6-8 bikes...
Never been to the York Rally, either, and being an old CTC type...quite fancy it.

All the bikes,

Re:

I'm more than up for that. Bit more up north n that.

I went this year Lee. Did you see the guy with a proflex and orange x1?

I only picked up a un72bb for a quid but enjoyed the whole event. Plenty of free parking too.

Just a pre-whinge though. Let's not let it be about mint, barely obtainable, largely unrecognizable to the masses kind of show. That was one aspect of icono-thingy that bewildered me..Just saying.

Marc

Re:

Eyup Marc,

I'm not saying bring only your pristine bikes, personally I think it would nice to see some retro bikes that are used on a daily basis the have battle scars and mismatched components, bring your entry level Al carter, bring your dented Klein's. I just want to invite like-minded people to show off their favourite classics.

Does that sound like what your thinking?

Back