First MTB's

this is an awesome thread,feel like i'm back at school picturing all these bikes :roll:

mine was a new 1988(?)massive 22.5" red diamond back ascent ex. i was 13,about 5 foot 6, & followed the general trend of the time of really not wanting to ever fall off fearing instant unwanted sex change!!! :oops: still remember that great sense of feelin like yr pulling a plough as the rear u-brake clogs up with mud :cry:

managed to bend it & crack the head tube within a yr which made my excuses to mum & dad for needing to spend £1200 on new bike - well -still not acceptible.but one train ride to on yer bike in brum later & that 16" proflex 750 was mine :D i lived on that bike :!: i'd love another one,but it'd have to be a 16" again,it just looked so cool!!! :cool:

.........not wanting to ever fall off fearing instant unwanted sex change!!!

Aaaaah cracking your coccyx and "other bits" on a dangerously high TT. :twisted: :oops: :shock: :twisted:

Wondered why I was more careful BITD!

Love you sloping TT :D

My first, a Diamond Back Sorrento, with the miraculous 'Diamond Back Suspension'. 3/4" of crap RST coil sprung travel. Gotta start somewhere I suppose, but something that you could just ride flat out into a guttter without damaging the wheel or forks must of been worth the best part of $1000 aussie dollars back in the early '90s. Still got it, its the bike with the kiddie seat fitted, as I nearly cried every time I put the kiddie seat on the '96 team issue Axis.....

My first road bike was a 21" early 80s Raleigh Milk Race special (can't find a picture)

[edit]

I tell a lie!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RALEIGH-MILK-...5112189QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL0806111426a4114

[/edit]

My first MTB was a 23" Raleigh Mirage. A real gate of a bike! Had it for years as the frame snapped and Raleigh sent me a new one!

THis isn't mine but looks like the same size!

(Hmm image link won't work!)

so here's a normal link

http://fotos.marktplaats.nl/kopen/f/7e/Iu03/nZgSTIiiS/+9fWr/g==.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
My first MTB was a Rockhopper 1989/90 (i think)

242497025_0b83f93a10.jpg

legrandefromage":3kgpyjgx said:
Bickerton 'Mean Green' - wish bone rear stays (very Clockwork like)

:LOL:

Me Too!!..... me and my brother had one each. Specced mine up with Deore DX as the 200GS wore out. T-bone stem, Tange switchblades and an Avocet saddle. That 'HULK' green got it noticed ( not dissimilar to the avatar). My brother's one got nicked and he got a Zolatone 'bear valley' as a replacement. Was green with envy for a couple of years. Sold it to someone for an 'A' level project and they promptly cut it in 2!!! :shock:

boy" :cool: "boy

Re:

If ever a thread needed resurrecting - this is it!

A very reoccurring theme happening - 1st bike: heavy steel
- a nutcracker of a frame- far too large
- 200gs or 300lx groupset &
- nicked!

So my 1st bike was a 1988 23" Raleigh Discovery with 200gs (thumbies) and Reynolds 501 tubes
- nicked from my locked garage :(

2nd bike - 21" purple Raleigh Mirage with 300lx - same fate as above, despite security alterations to garage door.

3rd bike - 20" Raleigh Moonrun. Same spec as above apart from Suntour XCR? Group set. Same fate as above.

Gave up owning bikes whilst at uni and skint.

Next bike 1996 GT Karakoram in ruby red. 18" with 4130 Cromo tubes and LX group set

And recently a 1994? Dynatech Diablo DX with bonded titanium tubeset.

Still have these in vurtually mint cond along with my latest addition - a 1996 Dawes Synthesis 653 XT cis I'm not fit enough to ride a mountain bike on roads against the wind these days.

Ha- Nice thread.. My first "mountain" bike was an '88 Raleigh Mirage in a generous 22.5" size.. Think it had been nicked, original white had been sprayed over with metallic purple, paid £25 for it and it was only a year or so old! Repainted it dark green, and bought some original decals too.. Still got the dear old thing, did 400 miles around the Netherlands cycle camping a while ago. I've clocked over 10k miles on it. Still on original wheels and Exage shifters. Changed the original forks for early Stumpjumper Spinner "Biplanes"- lovely! I've got several other bikes, including a lovely '93 Clockwork, but can't imagine selling old "Desperate Dan".. Sentimental, that's me..

Oh, and I meant mechs, not shifters.. And forgot to say I have a Moonrun too- unusual cos it's a 501 frame but 1.125" head tube- groupset is Suntour XC-E, Nedmundo.. Again, changed the forks for Spinners, from a DB Axis..

Re:

Can't believe I have ever seen this thread....

My first was a Raleigh magnum.... With factory mudguards!

Second was the Raleigh euro .... With Sachs huret gears and weinmann brakes

Third the raliegh Discovery..... Mmmmm 501 Frame

And my fourth because it was the first PROPER MTB ..... GT karakoram elite :cool:

Think I'm on around the 140th now :LOL:

RBG

Latest posts

Back