How much seat post is too much?

Stodgy

Retro Guru
Hello all,

Inspired by Mountain Mayhem to build a lightweight XC whippet, I've dragged my old Orange Clockwork frame out of the shed. It's a mid nineties, 19" frames, but I'm 6'1" and this photo show it with the saddle at the correct height for me. Is it too much seat post? Looks a bit scary to me. Maybe I need a bigger frame? It seems to fit me ok but could do with the bars a bit higher. Cheers.

fFhmS99NTuq9+0CnYbS%lA by Sam Hodgson357, on Flickr

Re:

Mine is not to far off that, it suits my style of riding.

spvkhz.jpg

Looks fine, bars are always going to feel low, and narrow, on a fully rigid.

Could be worse...

Attachments

• post.jpg
    post.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 982
Oh yes, is that one of Mike Muz’s bikes?

Should probably build it and ride it, then I’ll find out. If I keep going over the bars then I’ll think again.

Cheers.

mkone":ig20085p said:

Could be worse...
Photoshop hints and tips. Use the clone tool to change the background after you copied up the seatpost, else you get repetition of twigs and leaf patterns which gives the game away.

Supratada":zo64tx8o said:
mkone":zo64tx8o said:

Could be worse...
Photoshop hints and tips. Use the clone tool to change the background after you copied up the seatpost, else you get repetition of twigs and leaf patterns which gives the game away.

I shall pass that on to whoever took the photo if ever i meet them. And the length of the seatpost kinda gives it away anyway :LOL:

romanrinos":39cnejyd said:
As long as you have at least 2" of post inside the frame's triangle. Apart from Mike Muzz, I probably come a close second ;) .

Hey nice steed! Would that be the Hei Hei..? ;)

Yes, that is my 1998 Hei Hei with me looking South just above Gullet Quarry, Castlemorton Common at the South end of the Malvern Hills.

Pip

sthodgson":lliimvas said:
Hello all,

Inspired by Mountain Mayhem to build a lightweight XC whippet, I've dragged my old Orange Clockwork frame out of the shed. It's a mid nineties, 19" frames, but I'm 6'1" and this photo show it with the saddle at the correct height for me. Is it too much seat post? Looks a bit scary to me. Maybe I need a bigger frame? It seems to fit me ok but could do with the bars a bit higher. Cheers.

fFhmS99NTuq9+0CnYbS%lA by Sam Hodgson357, on Flickr

I think yours looks fine, I would also say you'd also fit the next frame size up too if you are running a lot of stem too, one of the things I find hard i such short head tubes i.e 10cm or thereabouts. My Giant runs a 13.5 headtube, a lot of post and fits like a glove but is a very different bike to yours and much later @ 1997...

Attachments

• 20190518_155619_resized (2).jpg
    20190518_155619_resized (2).jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 792
Back