Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:05 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:52 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:37 am
Posts: 408
Location: Sutton, SE London-ish
Hello all,

Inspired by Mountain Mayhem to build a lightweight XC whippet, I've dragged my old Orange Clockwork frame out of the shed. It's a mid nineties, 19" frames, but I'm 6'1" and this photo show it with the saddle at the correct height for me. Is it too much seat post? Looks a bit scary to me. Maybe I need a bigger frame? It seems to fit me ok but could do with the bars a bit higher. Cheers.

ImagefFhmS99NTuq9+0CnYbS%lA by Sam Hodgson357, on Flickr


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:58 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:55 am
Posts: 3468
Location: Dorset
Mine is not to far off that, it suits my style of riding.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:26 pm 
Old School GrandMaster | Rider
Old School GrandMaster | Rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:29 pm
Posts: 5582
Location: peak district
Looks fine, bars are always going to feel low, and narrow, on a fully rigid.

Could be worse...


Attachments:
post.jpg
post.jpg [ 128.76 KiB | Viewed 802 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:40 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:37 am
Posts: 408
Location: Sutton, SE London-ish
Oh yes, is that one of Mike Muz’s bikes?

Should probably build it and ride it, then I’ll find out. If I keep going over the bars then I’ll think again.

Cheers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:55 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:50 pm
Posts: 502
mkone wrote:
Looks fine, bars are always going to feel low, and narrow, on a fully rigid.

Could be worse...

Photoshop hints and tips. Use the clone tool to change the background after you copied up the seatpost, else you get repetition of twigs and leaf patterns which gives the game away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:03 pm 
Old School GrandMaster | Rider
Old School GrandMaster | Rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:29 pm
Posts: 5582
Location: peak district
Supratada wrote:
mkone wrote:
Looks fine, bars are always going to feel low, and narrow, on a fully rigid.

Could be worse...

Photoshop hints and tips. Use the clone tool to change the background after you copied up the seatpost, else you get repetition of twigs and leaf patterns which gives the game away.



I shall pass that on to whoever took the photo if ever i meet them. And the length of the seatpost kinda gives it away anyway :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:10 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:47 pm
Posts: 1047
Location: Newbury, Berkshire
sthodgson wrote:
Is it too much seat post?

As long as you have at least 2" of post inside the frame's triangle. Apart from Mike Muzz, I probably come a close second :wink: .



ImageCastlemortonCmn011011 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:55 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:42 am
Posts: 576
Location: London
Quote:
As long as you have at least 2" of post inside the frame's triangle. Apart from Mike Muzz, I probably come a close second :wink: .


Hey nice steed! Would that be the Hei Hei..? :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:21 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:47 pm
Posts: 1047
Location: Newbury, Berkshire
romanrinos wrote:
Quote:
As long as you have at least 2" of post inside the frame's triangle. Apart from Mike Muzz, I probably come a close second :wink: .


Hey nice steed! Would that be the Hei Hei..? :wink:


Yes, that is my 1998 Hei Hei with me looking South just above Gullet Quarry, Castlemorton Common at the South end of the Malvern Hills.

Pip


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:32 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:11 pm
Posts: 437
Location: Nottinghamshire
sthodgson wrote:
Hello all,

Inspired by Mountain Mayhem to build a lightweight XC whippet, I've dragged my old Orange Clockwork frame out of the shed. It's a mid nineties, 19" frames, but I'm 6'1" and this photo show it with the saddle at the correct height for me. Is it too much seat post? Looks a bit scary to me. Maybe I need a bigger frame? It seems to fit me ok but could do with the bars a bit higher. Cheers.

ImagefFhmS99NTuq9+0CnYbS%lA by Sam Hodgson357, on Flickr


I think yours looks fine, I would also say you'd also fit the next frame size up too if you are running a lot of stem too, one of the things I find hard i such short head tubes i.e 10cm or thereabouts. My Giant runs a 13.5 headtube, a lot of post and fits like a glove but is a very different bike to yours and much later @ 1997...


Attachments:
20190518_155619_resized (2).jpg
20190518_155619_resized (2).jpg [ 328.32 KiB | Viewed 617 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group