TNT hub gone same way as Ringle or Nuke proof

viengsavanh

Senior Retro Guru
**** me i go to the man cave for some therapy and i,m looking around then see this i thought TNTwere better than this but nope more shite it seems were,nt even on a bike just on the side any thought s people

Attachments

• P1050948.JPG
    P1050948.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 479
Over tensioned, corrosion, creep, fatigue.

Could be anything.
It happens, i've got a nearly new chris king downstairs that's done the same. Built by a local "premium wheelbuilder" last year.
Seen it on most brands.

mattr":14xwlwkg said:
Over tensioned, corrosion, creep, fatigue.

Could be anything.
It happens, i've got a nearly new chris king downstairs that's done the same. Built by a local "premium wheelbuilder" last year.
Seen it on most brands.

wow first time i,ve heard of a Chris king hub breaking

LOL, try a few years in the trade, they're not much better than anything else, just wildly more expensive.

mattr":38idb51i said:
LOL, try a few years in the trade, they're not much better than anything else, just wildly more expensive.
Sounds like you no better than me ,but its such a pisser

Yeah, it is a pain, especially when you will struggle to find spares or replacements :(

Just take a moment to be grateful it didn't go when you were riding!

The more spokes a wheel has, the less individual spoke tension is needed for a wheel of given strength. It saves weight to build wheels with 32,28 or fewer spokes, but proper touring bikes and tandems often go to 40 spokes. It depends primarily how long you need your wheels to last and run without trouble I think. Aluminium alloy is infamous for cracking at stress raisers, followed by catastrophic failure- Google early Comet airliners with rectangular windows..

Re:

Mark the rim & unspoke the wheel to see if the rim is pretzel shaped. Might be a bit of over tension to pull a bad wheel straight. Maybe even the rim that was fitted before or before. Billet hubs are all mostly bad in the end. After 25 years are you still surprised to see a light weight part fail after a life ridden off road?

Back