Far out question; Tyre clearance of a Giant Cadex CFM frame?

cadiremar

Retro Newbie
So, this is probably a long shot, but does anyone know the tyre clearance (height/width) of the rear triangle of a Giant Cadex CFM, circa 92-93?

I've fallen in love with the frame, and want to commit sacrilege by fashioning some disc brake mount dropouts and run 27.5" or 700c wheels, a newer carbon fork, and drop bars for some kind of a monstercross.
But as I don't have found a frame for sale yet, so I'm only in the planning stage, thereby the question.

Re:

I can check my 94 cfm3 but not for a couple of days. When buying just be sure the frame you want has the replaceable dropouts, my 94 was a replacement for a damaged 92. The 92 had them the 94 didn't. Search on here as I’m pretty sure there’s a quite large thread where someone did what you want to do. (Well the disc but anyway)

Please do! One of the threads here was actually what put my eyes on this frame. Gonna need to find one in Sweden though, or someone that is willing to ship internationally. So it's probably gonna be a long term project.

Another question after reading lots about the frame; as far as I've understood it some came with threaded forks and some with unthreaded, but all frames had an headtube with an inner diameter of 33.95mm?

Sorry to be a bother, but have you had time to take some measurements? I think I have a good idea about clearance from a couple close up photos I've found, but accurate measurements are always better than guesses :)

Re:

In The Netherlands Cadex forks were non threaded from '94. I think the frames were similar in the '92 - '94 modelyears.
I wouldn't mount disc brakes on these old lugged carbon frames.

cadiremar":1f9m6geb said:
Sorry to be a bother, but have you had time to take some measurements? I think I have a good idea about clearance from a couple close up photos I've found, but accurate measurements are always better than guesses :)

Sorry been a busy few days, not had a chance as yet but I will be able to tomorrow and I have my road bike wheel to try on it as well.

Re:

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply, so I tried my road bike wheel in the frame (700x28c) and there was loads of clearance at the bottom bracket but not a lot where the seat stays meet so I would say that 700x28 is a big as you will get.
So measurements wise it is Center of bb to Center of wheel is 425mm and Center of top tube to Center of wheel is 550mm. Obviously this is on my frame which is I believe 21” or 22”

Hi there,

Im also looking into fitting a 27.5 in my cadex, have you found out if it fits?
I did manage to get a cadex frame in Sweden haha.

Mvh
dennis

Back