AMP Research research

Yup, AMP B3.

Year?..probably 1994 given the older flat oval downtube and welded on cable stops.
These were dropped by 1995 in favour of a round downtube and aluminium cable clips on threaded rivnut fittings.
Also yours has no gusset at the headtube, and the 'unicrown' head on the macpherson strut, which later was a machined crown welded in.

All the best,

First of all, this thread is terrific. Between this and the facebook page, I have a little hope to keep the B3 running and somewhat smooth on the project bike I'm working on for my son.

I've got this B3 fitted currently - with the stock black spring
49351461653_bf6c100951_b.jpg

on this:
49390482012_a2c0169959_b.jpg

danson67 has a green/soft spring, so we're chatting about a trans-oceanic swap, but I did a little measuring after pulling mine out and the stock B3 spring seems awfully awfully close to a standard 1" O.D. by 2" length die spring from our local parts and tooling depot - and the available lb/inch spring rates seems to somewhat align with what they offer (vs whats in the AMP B3 service manual). Worth a shot for $10

F3 Spring Soft - 850#
F3 Spring Std - 1060#
F3 Spring stiff - 1200#

a 1" x 2" heavy duty die spring is 872#
https://www.grainger.com/product/RAYMON ... ing-44U717

extra heavy duty is is 1160#
https://www.grainger.com/product/RAYMON ... ing-44U812

EDIT: Dan has correctly pointed out that the IDs for these die springs may be too small to fit the preload adjuster. Darnit. Anyway, I ordered one and maybe I'll get lucky.

So anyway that's job 1, along with a trip to the hardware store to replace a few of the rounded out button head screws that Dan also kindly measured, saving me the trouble of non-fitting metric units.

Thanks for the great thread and info guys - love this place.

OK..here is the info which I have collated on the three different springs for the AMP F3 fork.

All with flat ground ends, and presumably all nominally 2" long.
They appear to have been specially made for AMP, not any standard die springs, US or metric. :roll:

ID could be slightly less for a replacement spring, but needs to be at least 16.5mm ID to fit the top hat for the preload adjuster.
OD is limited to 29mm by the machining on the lower linkage where the spring is seated.

All the best,

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-01-15 191235 - Copy.jpg
    Annotation 2020-01-15 191235 - Copy.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 517
  • IMAG4852.jpg
    IMAG4852.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 516
Re:

That was a good read, & very helpful! Looks like mine's a 1994 B3 then? Looking forward to this build.

Attachments

• P1050645.JPG
    P1050645.JPG
    266.2 KB · Views: 163
Re: Re:

ishaw":3ecugyxo said:
Sadly any contact I've attempted with Risse has never been responded to either, even when asking about buying multiple shocks (I too have an amp variant, an STS or two and an rts I was looking to buy shocks for).

If anyone is interested, I do have a standard risse shock for an amp b3 spare if anyone is interested. Ended up with a couple and only need one for my long boxed up project.

Don't suppose this is still available?

Re:

I've been dying to ask but which one of you lucky buggers managed to score this lot from Colnagoibex a couple of weeks ago? I checked in after work and by that time they'd already sold :x

Attachments

• Attrezzi.jpg
    Attrezzi.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 125
Re: Re:

Swede":1ifah25b said:
I've been dying to ask but which one of you lucky buggers managed to score this lot from Colnagoibex a couple of weeks ago? I checked in after work and by that time they'd already sold :x

Bugger....not me. Didn't see it. There was a set on ebay at £400 which went last week too. :facepalm:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back