New to the Forum

pwcosol

Retro Newbie
Yesterday I was bouncing all over the internet looking for information about my KHS "ATB". It has been sitting here & there in my garage for the last five years with two flat tires (and always seems to be in my way). Couple of times I almost thought of getting rid of it, but (thankfully) I did not succumb to such thoughts. In any event, having purchased the cycle almost 30 years ago new (and paying a rather princely sum for it at the time, too!), I decided to evaluate, clean & repair/replace whatever was needed to get it back in order. First off, the OEM tires were rotting, so both them & the tubes were replaced. Everything else (other than being dirty) looked pretty much OK. However, cracking & hard surfaces were apparent on some of the brake pads. I also cleaned both the frame and just about everything else. I started to look on sites like Ebay for replacement brake pads, but can't find any references to my specific cantilever (BR MT82) brake sets or the pads (Shimano Deore Low Profile SS). Seems components for a three-decade old MB are akin to looking for rare fossils. Thankfully I may have found a work-around on Ebay. Anyway, I am hopeful the Forum will be a good resource to find such parts and sage advice as well. . BTW, it is a KHS "Oversized" 21 inch Montana Pro "Richey" attributed (color optic-yellow).
6/20/1240 PDT USA pics added:

Attachments

• KHS MP 1990a.JPG
    KHS MP 1990a.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 361
  • KHS MP 1990b.JPG
    KHS MP 1990b.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 361
  • KHS MP 1990c.JPG
    KHS MP 1990c.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 361
  • KHS MP 1990d.JPG
    KHS MP 1990d.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 361
Welcome! Unless you really want original brake blocks- and bear in mind that if you find some, they'll be old and hard too- then you'll find lots of excellent new ones available. Compounds have improved over the years, I recommend Tektro as being kind to rims, good in the wet, and long lasting. Aztec don't seem to be as good as they were. Haven't used much else for the last 25 or so years!

Thanks to all for the nice welcome! Finally got my KHS ATB put back together (photos now attached to my initial post). Still have a few things to do, like adjust front brake, clean chain (found a neat gizmo some years ago that you run the chain through while it is on the bike. One adds liquid cleanser into the tub so it is like a "chain bath".), etc. I appreciate the info regarding the brake pads, lensmansteve. Guy told me at the cycle shop sometimes aluminum residue becomes impregnated into the pads over time. So, took a file and went across the four pads on each brake pad to remove the slightly hardened surface (and hopefully any residue as well). As I scouted around Ebay, the closest ones I could find were these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/55mm-Cantileve ... Sw0qdcl766

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=1 ... 8&_sacat=0

Am pretty sure the shaft is 7mm OD, as some others stated the shaft was that size. I measured the OEM brake pads, and they are 52-53mm long. The shorter ones above have what looks like a splined shaft, and the ones on my cycle appear to be smooth.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Happy to be a help.. The guy you mentioned was spot-on when he recommended "dressing" the pads to remove oxide deposits, grit etc. I've been doing that for years, saves the rims and gives lovely quiet and efficient braking too! You needn't buy pads from the USA, by the way- unless you live there- loads about!

lensmansteve":a6guu68v said:
Happy to be a help.. The guy you mentioned was spot-on when he recommended "dressing" the pads to remove oxide deposits, grit etc. I've been doing that for years, saves the rims and gives lovely quiet and efficient braking too! You needn't buy pads from the USA, by the way- unless you live there- loads about!

Yes, I do reside in The States (Arizona). Originally I was from Kalifornia but got out in 2010. When I came across the Retrobike Forum, the name itself was like a "Welcome Mat". I admit to being a "retro" individual in many respects. This is based primarily on both my age & life experience. Seems I still have one foot firmly planted in the last half of the 20th century. Often I would like to withdraw the other as well (were it only possible!). I tend to keep things which, if they have served me well and continue to do so, have earned my loyalty. My 1990 Toyota 2 x 4 light truck has 305000 miles on it and continues to run well. Having spent 26 years in the telecommunications industry and retiring from same, I refuse to get a cell phone. I will have nothing to do with a "ATM" when it comes to banking. Lastly, other than Forums such as this, I avoid all other forms of "Social Media". I do have several other outside interests. If you like "retro", three of them are pictured below, so hope you find them interesting as well...

Attachments

• 1971DT1Ea.JPG
    1971DT1Ea.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 286
  • CT1B.JPG
    CT1B.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 286
  • CT!RS.JPG
    CT!RS.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 286
Ha- Kindred spirit! I drive a '96 Fiat, bought new. Love the Yams, had a Suzuki GT500 a few years back. Had lots of Brit bikes, '61 Norton 650SS, '52 BSA 500 (M33) to name but two..
I've had my Raleigh Mirage since '88, done about 10k miles on it.. Newest bike is a '97 Kona.. Love your KHS, the Arizona sun hasn't killed the paint!

Hey, welcome to the Luddite club. Love the KHS, lovely bike, and those scramblers aren't bad either. I've still got my '85 GPZ900 'Top Gun' bike.

Latest posts

Back