Alternative 8 speed shifters for 2004 or earlier era?

walkbythesea

Dirt Disciple
So my stock JW4 has Deore shifters and mech's on 3x8 - I think they're "rapid-fire" with a thumb push and a weenie index finger trigger pull to shift them...

The problem is that I have very little room between the stock Julie brake lever and the trigger itself to fit my big fat fingers in!

Which other stand alone shifters will work with the mech's and transmission I have and either offer a traditional overbar thumb shifter or an STI/rapidfireplus double push option and index up nicely?

Re:

Am I right in thinking that regular Deore/XT thumbies from back in the day will also index to 8 speed with the “hidden” extra click? Seem to recall that from an ancient MBUK I read as a kid.

Ish.

The spacing on 7 speed is 5.0mm while 8 is 4.8mm. So it's not a perfect match, usually you have to set it up in the middle cog and the higher and lower gears get progressively more tetchy. The top jockey float takes up most of the extra inaccuracy.
Add muck and dirty cabling and you will end up switching to friction...

Re:

Have a look at Microshift stuff they do thumb shifters, and what about a Grip shift style shifter?

Back