Did your dream bike live upto the hype ?

Ibis Mojo. The steel hardtail. It is still whispering "you can do better than that... jump. drop it. wheelie" after 19 yrs of ownership.
Fat Chance wicked. I wish i had it when i lived by the woods: unbelievable climbing slow technical riding bike.

Re: Re:

sinnerman":zdblxivw said:
As for the Hype, I did love and do miss buying magazines, opening them and reading the reviews, seeing the adverts and wondering . The internet is good for many things, but alas it can never replicate that boyhood feeling of excitement like a good old mountain bike magazine.
Yes. The internet took it away.

Re:

Great question... Got myself a Klein Pinnacle frame with my Saturday job money when I was 18. The step up in class from the Reynolds 501 Peugeot I was riding at the time was ridiculous and I am still riding it, issue free, 25 years later - big thumbs up!

Also, recently aquired an NOS '99 Yeti ARC and it instantly made me think (rightly or wrongly - I'm sure there are many candidates for this accolade) that I'd got my hands on the what must be the best alu hardtail ever made. Amazed at the difference in rear end compliance compared with the Klein and it basically feels like perfection on wheels - I think it helps alot that it's a perfect fit too.

Briefly owned an Ibis Silk Ti too. It's undeniably awesome but the fact it was a bit too big for me and four times the price of the Yeti made me sell it on during a skint period. Breathtakingly amazing, yes, but I was able to part with it without shedding a tear.

The one I'd love to try but never have is a small Yo Eddy. Maybe one day...

Re: Re:

nausea":1jc9x83m said:
Great question... Got myself a Klein Pinnacle frame with my Saturday job money when I was 18. The step up in class from the Reynolds 501 Peugeot I was riding at the time was ridiculous and I am still riding it, issue free, 25 years later - big thumbs up!

Also, recently aquired an NOS '99 Yeti ARC and it instantly made me think (rightly or wrongly - I'm sure there are many candidates for this accolade) that I'd got my hands on the what must be the best alu hardtail ever made. Amazed at the difference in rear end compliance compared with the Klein and it basically feels like perfection on wheels - I think it helps alot that it's a perfect fit too.

Briefly owned an Ibis Silk Ti too. It's undeniably awesome but the fact it was a bit too big for me and four times the price of the Yeti made me sell it on during a skint period. Breathtakingly amazing, yes, but I was able to part with it without shedding a tear.

The one I'd love to try but never have is a small Yo Eddy. Maybe one day...

Great post. Rule No 1 for me was always buy a bike that fits properly, irrespective of how cool it is or price. Also plenty of lower end bikes can make you smile if they ride great. Always interested in feedback on iconic bikes too. Certain ones seem to be ‘must haves’ but do people really feel it or are they just buying them to tick a bike Bucket list box ?

Eventually! Lusted after a Mountain Cycle San Andreas for years. Took a while to get the spec how I really feel good on it but sorted now. So much so that I now have another SanAn plus 8 other MC's!

Re:

My dream bikes make for a pretty short list:

Roberts custom Phantom - had that built about 27 years ago. If I'm being really picky, it might be just a smidge too small for me, and I'd rather the seat collar was reversed, but otherwise I still ride every weekend and love it.

Merlin Titanium - always always wanted one and still haven't got around to it but I'm convinced it'll live up to my expectations.

Manitou FS - one that has always stuck in my mind as a great machine. Never been anywhere near one, but just loved the look at the time.

Attachments

• bike 1.jpg
    bike 1.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 207
Yes - sort of:

Hauling ass on a pathetically heavily upgraded HardRock BITD, my dream bike was a mate's older brother's purple-black Stumpjumper Team - 1991 MY I think..

Instead of that I've ended up with a '96 M2, acquired 4 years ago whilst finally hunting in earnest for the above, with some Spesh rigids on it from a donor rockhopper - and yes the stumpy name lives up to my imagined hype - it's batshit-crazy fast and laugh-out-loud fun going round the woods around here. Pretty smitten with it.

Wife has firmly nixed any further searching for the Team now, but still curious what'd be like - especially as I was really, really pleasantly surprised by the 1992 Marin Eldridge Grade frameset I frankenstiened together for my commuter/hack bike a year or so ago; went down/over/through some fairly hairy stuff in the Welsh valleys with that last summer and it always felt quick and sure-footed; happy, predictable little ride that bike. Much prefer the skinny tubes too.

Re:

Not quite..

After scoring my dream bike on the evilBay :twisted: a loooong time ago, I never got the Risse Genesis shock to function properly, not even after acquiring a new one, so every time I've ridden it, she felt like a bouncy castle.. The Manitou M3's up front work better, and those are equipped with the original elastomers :LOL:

Guess that's why I prefer hardtails these days, especially given the terrain I tend to ride my (retro) mountainbikes in!

She is a pretty picture though ;)

p5pb10316284.jpg

Re:

Somebody help a brother out ^^

Buying your favourite bike multiple times - tick :D

Picked up a Marin Eldridge Grade 92 for £100, what a great rider. Sold it to a local dad for school run duties. See him all the time on it with his sons.

Manitou FS. A dream ride since I first saw one in the very early 90s. Ignoring the known crack issues, apparently another great riding bike I have yet to try. :roll:

Lots of appreciation for classic rides that really ‘lived upto the HYPE’ as well as refreshing honesty on this thread. :roll:

Re:

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say 'dream' bike but riding around in my yoof on a backwoods I always fancied a zaskar, because they were better. Not sure I have fully scratched that itch but my current zas isn't exactly street's ahead of the backwoods. They are quite different in build and the use they get but have to say I think I still need convincing.

On the other hand, like many of us the pace frames are something of an icon for me and I was really pleased with how my F3 rode, really positive experience, and I'm hoping the current F8 project is as good if not better. Not sure the hype included replacing all those cracks though....

Back