Kona cinder cone 92 headset

Kilauea92

Retro Newbie
Kona experts I need some help!

I've bought a 92 Cinder Cone to build up. Got a set of Project Two forks off e-bay which were stated 1 1/8th steerer. Due to the low stack height ( just over 2cm) I bought a Tange Sekei headset. Now the problem. Took it to my LBS to fit and the Tange Headset seems too big for the forks in the internal bearing surface. If I can source an original Kona Impact headset I would, but they seem hard to find. What else would fit this vintage frame and fork. I got some digital calipers and the p2 steerer tube measures 1.130 inches or 28.7 mm.

I was wondering if all Project two the same steerer width. I had thought that vintage were all 1 1/8th.

The Tange headset is just under 30.0 mm inside the bearing, hence the 2cm slop is too much, so does the answer lie in another headset, and if so which one?

Re: Headset for Kona 92

Hi thanks for the help. The bottom part of the forks is 30.2 where the crown race would fit, otherwise they are 28.7 all the way down.

The forks are marked 1994 so are off a later Kona than the Cinder Cone but I had thought they would fit.

Re:

hello Kilauea92,
if you end up not using the Project Two forks, I would be interested in buying them off you.
Ben

Re:

Bumping this older thread as I recently acquired a 1995 Kona Cinder Cone which will become my wife's "gravel" bike. Here's the specs...
https://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bik ... der%20Cone

It needs a shorter, raised stem, which I think can best be accomplished by going with a threadless headset. Of course this gives me the advantage of easily swapping different stems in the future if the original one doesn't quite work out.

Here's a pic of what's on there now. This and most everything else looks original, as it agrees with the specs in the link above.

Thoughts on the best solution?

Attachments

• KonaCinderCone1995-2b.jpg
    KonaCinderCone1995-2b.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 493
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":22hkgzk5 said:
A short, high-rise quill might do the job, without resorting to changing the forks, headset and stem.

Something like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-4mm-KALLO ... SwnF9Y706w

That could be a possibility, but I think I'd prefer to fully convert over to a fully modular (modern) approach and go with something like this...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SpeedPark-240m ... SwnHZYiE0b

I'm just not sure if this one ^^^ is to convert from a 1" threaded fork or 1 1/8". It gets confusing with an adapter for someone who's not savvy since a 1" fork measures 7/8" and a 1 1/8" measures 1".

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Yeah.... quill to ahead converters :? some have a 22.2 mm quill (7/8") , then a shim taking it out to 25.4 mm (1") to fit a 1 1/8" headset (31.8 mm). Confused?!

So you now have a quill with a shim, with an ahead stem fitted onto it! Inevitably this will be heavy, I would also refrain from serious off-road with it. The one you selected does appear to be for 1 1/8" headsets though.

SP

Yea, I wouldn't use a shim - just get the right size (1", in this case), and up top would be 28.6mm (1 1/8"). 31.8mm is 1 1/4", which is the "new standard" for handlebar diameter (the other end of the stem).

My concern with the one I linked above is the length, at 24 cm. Although my wife prefers something sitting up a little higher, I don't like the idea so much of the extra leverage that'll now be put on that part vs. the more typical one at 16 cm. And who knows if they've taken that into account with a stronger tube.

Back