Did your dream bike live upto the hype ?

Re:

I think the OP was ment for retro bikes, so this doesn't exactly answer the question but maybe it's relevant. I had a big birthday a few years ago so bought a Kuota 29er Comp frame and build it up with my dream XC spec. Boasting aside seven races netted five vets podium places and it's easily the fastest, most comfortable and capable hardtail I've ever ridden, it even carries 2 bottles.

So why doesn't it get used much? It's never my goto bike and it's not because its a 29er or carbon.

I've tried fitting slicks and using it as a road bike in the mountains (it climbed and descended great). I fitted a longer fork with meatier tyres and used it as a trail bike, again I couldn't really fault it.

So yeah it was my dream bike but I don't care about it, not shure why, answers here please.

My very first dream bike was the 1991 Scott Pro Racing. I first threw my leg over one... 1 month ago. Bikes have changed a lot since but yes, it still was a joy to ride one at last.

Thias":1it75mkp said:
Thats an interresting question! I don't remember me lusting over any bike more than the GT LTS Thermoplast. I bought one a few years ago, did a very crappy build because I could not afford a real build at that time. The dampener was shot so the ride wasn't too good. Now it sits in my basement with no parts on it. I am searching for "the perfect build", the perfect crank, perfect fork, perfect everything. I fear to mess it up and ruin my dream bike. So that doesn't get me anywhere. While most of my other builds come an go rather quickly. Now I have all the bikes I could ever imagine owning bitd. Several Kleins, Specialized FSR, GT-RTS, Ibis, Centurion Titanium - Been there, done that.
But with "the only one" dream bike, I'm totally stuck.

Isn't that funny?

You have to build up the GT, rebuilt RS Super Deluxe Shock, Long travel Judy SL’s, XTR M950 and GT Hadley hubbed wheels with Kore finishing kit, WTB Rocket V saddle and modern 2.25 Tyres would be a great build kit. I adore mine ;)

In regards to other bikes, I’d say the other bikes that did live up to the hype for me were:

Merlin Ti
Orange Vit-T
Fat Chance Shock-a-Billy
Fat Chance Yo Eddy
GT Team RTS

I rebuilt a lovely Yeti ARC but was too scared to ride for fear of cracking, I’m sure it would have ridden nicely though :LOL:

Every early Kona I’ve owned has also been a real nice ride, no more so than my 91 Hei Hei.

Re:

@ Greencat The Charge Cooker still looks pleasingly retro to me. I prefer straight tubes and thankfully there are plenty of modern bikes similar to this but still with a little retro funkiness.

@ Thais They say, never meet your heros, as you might feel disappointed. Maybe you have put the GTS LTS on such a pedestal in you imagination, that you are terrified ‘it wont live up to the hype’ !

@ Shedobits Maybe we now appreciate retrobike imperfections compared to a state of the art modern rig. We know the limitations of retros but they still get the job done, require more skill to ride and put a smile on your face in most relaxed ride situations.

@ Minifreak Building upto that dream ride with nuanced upgrades to feel the step process. You have had more iconic rides on here than most to appreciate that point. I get a strong sense of the type of ride ‘feel’ you prefer.

Turning into a surprisingly deep and insightful thread this.

No. Mine was a Ritchey Ultra. I got a frame and built it up to test it. Very disappointing. Not sure what to do now - sell it and try another dream bike possibly.

dirttorpedo":87vglmc9 said:
No. Mine was a Ritchey Ultra. I got a frame and built it up to test it. Very disappointing. Not sure what to do now - sell it and try another dream bike possibly.

Assuming it was one of these, why did it disappoint so much ? Too stiff, too flexy, unstable descending, bad climbing, uncomfortable ?

munkey_bwy":87vglmc9 said:
Pace RC100 - Amazing back then and still rides amazing now. fast, light, direct & controllable.

Added to the ‘lives upto the hype’ list.

Attachments

• 0C0F3852-C0FA-4DBB-A032-F37AF2C149EC.jpeg
    0C0F3852-C0FA-4DBB-A032-F37AF2C149EC.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 286
Re:

Not sure why, though probably blame the parents, but I’ve always been drawn to mid range models. I picked up a Marin I never got back in ‘89 a few years back, upgraded a few bits, and think it rides brilliantly. Same for a Saracen trekker from 89/90 I have ridden today - lovely bike.

I think if I’d have spent hundreds on a retro bike then it might be a case of thinking it wasn’t the best value, but for the ones I like for peanuts, satisfaction is guaranteed.

Re:

Yes.

1993 Explosif - brilliant (BITD)
1997 Hei Hei King Kahuna - brilliant (BITD and now, shame mine is broken :roll: )

No.

Alpinestars Cro-Mega

Re: Re:

sthodgson":1r1evsih said:
Not sure why, though probably blame the parents, but I’ve always been drawn to mid range models. I picked up a Marin I never got back in ‘89 a few years back, upgraded a few bits, and think it rides brilliantly. Same for a Saracen trekker from 89/90 I have ridden today - lovely bike.

I think if I’d have spent hundreds on a retro bike then it might be a case of thinking it wasn’t the best value, but for the ones I like for peanuts, satisfaction is guaranteed.

The 88 silver Pine Mountain was lovely to ride. Marin & Kona really nailed quality ‘affordable’ bikes back then and they still ‘have it’ today.

@ Splatterpaint. I bet the KingK has been hammered hard for years for it to finally crack. Hope its repairable.

Im just a massive fan of late 80s steel and early-mid 90s Ti bikes in particular. They still look prettier to me even now compared to modern.

Back