Wheel building help

Got a new key, re tensioned the wheel, realised dish was wrong, relished it, then saw that 3 spokes in a row one side were rusted and I couldn’t true it. Elected to try and loosen the middle of the 3, it snapped. I replaced it with the last spare I had but managed to mostly true it. Spokes are now considerably tighter and most are ringing at somewhere around G#. I still need to order some more spokes and replace the rusted ones, but I hope it will survive tomorrow at bpw.

Carl

I always build wheels with my nipples soaked in a small jar of linseed oil before I start, I find it makes a big difference... :s

TOMAS":27eu4t2y said:
I always build wheels with my nipples soaked in a small jar of linseed oil before I start, I find it makes a big difference... :s
Sounds awkward, it whatever turns you on, I guess... :shock:

As for the mild steel blades spokes, I’ve had Mavic road wheels with those. Evil things. Straight pull at one end, and fairly seized nipples at the other. Trying to get tension in usually ends in spinning the whole spoke. I’ve used a wooden block with a slot cut in it with a thin hacksaw blade in order to hold the spike steady. Even then, it’s tough to get enough tension in.

There’s a lot to be said for triple butter J bend spokes!

It survived, I enjoyed myself, didn’t crash but was surprised that the trail tradings of our local system bare no real resemblance to those at bpw. The blues there were more advanced than our local reds!

Carl

drcarlos":2du5p88i said:
It survived, I enjoyed myself, didn’t crash but was surprised that the trail tradings of our local system bare no real resemblance to those at bpw. The blues there were more advanced than our local reds!

Carl

Snowflake lacing next :D

Attachments

• p3pb2681497.jpg
    p3pb2681497.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 91
Back