XT M732 axle and cones.....what am I getting wrong.....

Commanderrb

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
So Im putting a 135 axle into a 130 M732 hub, the plan being to add a 2.5mm washer each side so it sits central in a 135mm frame.
However the cone and locknut on the drive side refuses to budge, I simply can not undo them from each other to get the extra washer between.
Its a NOS axle and cones so shouldn't be seized, but for fun I tried to part the cone and locknut on the 130 axle that came out of the hub and its the same, its like the driveside cone is fixed in a pre detetmined position on the axle.
So far Ive bent a cone spanner trying to undo them!
The non drive side was fine.
Am I missing something, does the drive side one never move?

Re:

The drive side should move. Nos doesn't mean things cant be stuck. I've had this before, and I think you need to soak it in something a bit to help free it, then use a combination of nuts on one end that lock against each other, then try to undo the stuck ones. I've not explained it well, hopefully someone can help describe the technique.

You could also try applying some heat, bake it in the oven to see if that helps free things up?

I did a set of mine last weekend and as ishaw says, they should come apart? Silly but just to double check, you are using 2x spanners when trying to part them, i.e one on the cone and another on the locknut and turning them in opposite directions? I'm baffled, as Ishaw says, try soaking in WD40 overnight or a bit of heat on them? BTW, to best of my knowledge you add a 5mm washer to non-drive side not 2.5 mm to each side, but others feel free to correct me - i'm sure that's the case on the later paralllax hubs and assume the same for the older ones.

Thanks both....with the reasurance that they should move I took the advice and soaked in WD40 for the day and after a bit of grunting on the spanners again they are now seperated and off the axle...cheers

Cracking, thank you....I think I was hoping to get away without redishing which I now realise is just me being lazy so I will dig the jig out and dust it off, as well as my skills, its been a while....

Back