Tell me about the Saracen Tufftrax.

dirttorpedo

Senior Retro Guru
There is one for sale locally at a very good price. Nobody is taking a run at it. I'm thinking of it as a donor bike for my Ritchey Ultra. It would be a shame to break up a perfectly nice bike though. Is it anything special?

Re:

I just sold on a '96 one that I bought off a student for next to nothing and wanted it for its random black XT M730 black hubs/Bonty rims that were on it, it had Tange DB tubing, full STX RC groupset and Alvio calipers, rode really nice, paintwork looks tough as its withstood time well. It looked a nice geometry for me but just had to sell it on as too many in the stable... I'd say nothing particularly special but a very good all-rounder for use and not a garage queen.

Re:

I bought one in 1988 from On Your Bike London Bridge just like that, £300. Mainly Exage kit if I recall, biopace chainrings, front brake cable went through a hole in the stem.
Fairly gate-like frame geometry with high top tube. Nostalgia aside, I wouldn't have said it was owt special.

35282513180_223ff64404_b.jpg

There she is, on a train up to London, to go up to the Lakes for a few days riding about in 1990 or 91. Nicked from Uni in 93.

Re: Re:

Supratada":26pud147 said:
I bought one in 1988 from On Your Bike London Bridge just like that, £300. Mainly Exage kit if I recall, biopace chainrings, front brake cable went through a hole in the stem.
Fairly gate-like frame geometry with high top tube. Nostalgia aside, I wouldn't have said it was owt special.

35282513180_223ff64404_b.jpg

There she is, on a train up to London, to go up to the Lakes for a few days riding about in 1990 or 91. Nicked from Uni in 93.

Ya, that looks the same colour. Thanks.

God, what if it’s my trusty old steed?
Lost in the criminal wilderness and now its trying to find me again, like Flann O’Brian’s prodigal son.

Re:

Supratada":1h6dih45 said:
Lost in the criminal wilderness and now its trying to find me again, like Flann O’Brian’s prodigal son.

I don't think so - this one is across the pond in Canada.

Re: Re:

dirttorpedo":1olvg5vg said:
Supratada":1olvg5vg said:

I don't think so - this one is across the pond in Canada.

Yeah, but I've a Nishiki frame that used to live in California, and had a Kona a couple of years ago that was from Canada I think, but both were bought locally here in the UK from owners who bought them over here second hand.
So bikes do cross the Pond in both directions.

Back