"Hybrid" 90's TI frame ?

Zanoli

Old School Hero
Hello,

I came across (sorry no pic yet :( ) another anonymous TI frame (probably a Russian made from the 90's) that has both seat stays long enough to welcome 700C wheels, along with a brigde between to mount a road caliper AND canti bosses below (i couldn't tell if it was an add-on by the welds).
Did that type of "hybridisation" exist back in the days (and what brand did produce them) or is it just a weird mod ?

Thanks !

Is the bridge actually there for a brake, or just for stiffness of the rear triangle/hanging a mudguard off? Pretty much all the 26" frames i've had hold of have had a drilled bridge there, none of them are designed for mixed 26"/700 (And most 26" mtb frames will easily accommodate a 700x28 wheel and tyre anyway.)

Re:

You may be right - it makes more sense than the hybrid frame idea.
I never thought that a mud guard bridge could be used to accomodate a 700 wheel (brake and rim position match in this case wich is a notable coincidence).

Thanks !

Re:

Second vote that the drilled bridge is to fix a mudguard to as well. With respect to the 700c wheel size, does the rim line up with canti or v brakes attached to the frame? If so then maybe you have a ti cx frame.

Re:

Interesting point !
Unfortunaltely i remember a big gap between the bosses and the rim.
And i guess none of the brands jumping on the TI bandwagon back in the 90's would have risked to produce such a niche frame as a CX one ?

There were a few Ti CX frames about in the late 90's. Without fail running 130OLN though. So your late 90's mtb wheel wouldn't have fitted without swearing........

Re:

Zanoli":2era1qni said:
Interesting point !
Unfortunaltely i remember a big gap between the bosses and the rim.
And i guess none of the brands jumping on the TI bandwagon back in the 90's would have risked to produce such a niche frame as a CX one ?

I believe there were a number of custom manufacturers of Ti frames in the 90's. Could have been special ordered. Could have been an experimental / developmental frame? Check this out - apparently Merckx built titanium cx race frames in the early 90's.

https://www.cxmagazine.com/eddy-merckx- ... oss-bike/7

Back