Anybody tried this?

I'm possibly going to be trying it in the next month or so. I have a Marin Eldridge Grade i want to re paint and was advised to try this paint. Mixed results from the reviews but more good than bad.

Re:

This might be just what I need... Would be interested to know if anyone has used it?

jonthefish":1dn7azuo said:
How much patina? Think carefully before re-painting. Only original once etc......

A bit is okay, but after that your just living with some else’s dirt/scuffs and if you’ve no connection to the original owner then it’s just scratches and dirt - and in my book irrelevant, so express yourself and paint away

Write your own history rather than preserve someone else’s - there’s nothing original about patina it sure as hell never left the factory in a distressed state so unless it was put there by Tomac or Tinker etc I can’t see any reason to get emotional about it.

Feel free to shout me down :oops: but this strikes me as trendily named hipster type products.
"Frame builders smoothing putty"
Where the hell would that get used on a new built bike frame :? Far as im aware they don't individually address the frame prior to painting it. A bit of smoothing with a belt sander, but smoothing putty :?

dyna-ti":32baqjbs said:
Feel free to shout me down :oops: but this strikes me as trendily named hipster type products.
Where the hell would that get used on a new built bike frame :? Far as im aware they don't individually address the frame prior to painting it. A bit of smoothing with a belt sander, but smoothing putty :?

I thought that but didn’t want to rock the boat anymore than I possibly have above, that said even the most expensive paint on the planet still needs proper preparation with a good grease free keying surface to adhere to and applied at the right temperature in a dust free environment

Enc has a couple of good threads on rattle can paint jobs and some quality results as well

Retro Spud":16zt9gy9 said:
jonthefish":16zt9gy9 said:
How much patina? Think carefully before re-painting. Only original once etc......

A bit is okay, but after that your just living with some else’s dirt/scuffs and if you’ve no connection to the original owner then it’s just scratches and dirt - and in my book irrelevant, so express yourself and paint away

Write your own history rather than preserve someone else’s - there’s nothing original about patina it sure as hell never left the factory in a distressed state so unless it was put there by Tomac or Tinker etc I can’t see any reason to get emotional about it.

What's a bit? 2% patina and 98% original finish? 50:50? I suppose we each have our own limits, but I've seen some resprays that (to me) are way grimmer than a few scuffs and scratches. I take your point about self expression. Do something different by all means. But I've seen so many costly ugly powder coats etc etc that try and usually fail to look 'original' that I'm a sceptic for repainting.

dyna-ti":8zgmla38 said:

I thought the same when I saw the website but it was suggested by a LBS who had heard goodish things about it.

To be honest the paint versus patina is more about cost than originality. I'm trying to keep to a budget and powder coating is too expensive and costing up using rattle can car paint once you've include all the extras like primer and laquer is not far off. I've resprayed a few of old cars in the past so I will prep the frame properly. Unfortunately I got rid of my compressor and gun etc. when we downsized and lost the garage. :(

This Spray.Bike looks like it might be better for painting outside. If I do use it I'll let you know if I get a sudden urge to grow a beard and wear skinny jeans with no socks :LOL:

Back