Do you buy your bikes to ride or just look at?

It depends how it rides. I have around 5 or 6 bikes I like riding, 3 I ride most of the time. The rest just sit there unused. I have decided the unused ones are wasted and will be sold as soon as I get a chance/can be bothered. (one or two may possibly be just flat-packed and stored in the loft in case I change my mind in the future as they are very rare and I wont find another)

Re:

Through my bike collection problem, I’ve noticed there are some gear combinations that I really dislike. I have one Marin that was literally unused. The gear combo is horrible for climbing, probably why it was not used.

Re:

I didn't buy 2 of mine as retro bikes they've just grown old with me since I bought them, the 1997 Marin Mount Vision is semi retired and only ridden on nice dry summer days the 2001 Marin Mount Vision is my workhorse clocking up a couple of thousand km a year.
My 1995 Pace RC200 I bought in 2016 and is used a road bike and averages about 2000 km a year

My former Mountain Cycles was so mint that it was to look at. However I did take it for a short ride just to see what it was like.

All other have been for riding, with 10ish bikes some don't get out too often. I managed to get out on 7 of them last year, only 1 complete rideable bike stayed indoors.

AAarrrgh...

I used to answer this with something like 'To ride, otherwise it's not really a bike'... then I accepted that I like to look at them a lot and that I'd rather ride something that I don't mind wearing out.

My retros do get ridden, but not in winter slop, or If i think there's much of a risk of damaging them. But then I've had a few b-e-a-utiful Retro bikes that I bought, looked at, rode and sold on. I've only really kept 4. What does that mean?

I buy/collect/build bikes that make me FEEL good. It's nostalgia, it's the way they ride and the way they look.

I think I Covet them, but not many.

I should add that a couple of project bikes I have on the go aren't my size. One is a bike I always wanted and one is a bike I regret selling, both were good deals and it was hard to say no.

Will I ride them both? Yes

Will I ride them far and often? No

Re:

ride it by all means, but theirs nothing wrong with building a bike to look at too. Everyone needs a poster bike, and considering a bicycle as pleasing as an expensive painting......., there nothing wrong with that.

Attachments

• overburysestay.jpg
    overburysestay.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 174
Re: Re:

sinnerman":1a8dg695 said:
ride it by all means, but theirs nothing wrong with building a bike to look at too. Everyone needs a poster bike, and considering a bicycle as pleasing as an expensive painting......., there nothing wrong with that.

^^ :D

After a long or busy day I just like to go to my sacred place and look at some of mine whilst sitting there listening to the mid week football - they make me happy !

Others are for riding and need cleaning - also a guilty pleasure

Back