Which One...?

sinnerman

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
BoTY Winner
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Following on from the "who rides there retobike and who just looks at them".

Which one of your retro bikes, is your "prized" Possession......?

Every member has a favorite...., Gucci or Not, we all have a favorite and for different reasons.

Lets see the pics, and even a few words as to WHY....?

Currently mine is The "Iron Lady", took me decades to get her, hours to fettle her, and then i snapped the Campag post and rip the original turbo. The nice part of this story for me, i met the Builder as a young man, and only because of this site, was i able to find the bike, and talk to the builder whos a member here. You gotta love this place..!

Attachments

• Hand Built by our very own Andy Thompson..!.jpg
    Hand Built by our very own Andy Thompson..!.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 299
Re:

My 1993 KHS Montana Team, I raced my original one back in 1993 and stupidly sold it. I finally tracked a frameset down in my size, had it resprayed by Alistair at Fatcreations and spent a good two years getting it to how it is now. Clearly there are far more desirable bikes out there, but riding this again after roughly 20 years was incredible for me.

Build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=373711

Attachments

• 20190201_100514-1062x848.jpg
    20190201_100514-1062x848.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 295
My '93 Kona Kilauea despite not being the most "exotic" of my current bikes, is the one i remember the most from back when and still to this day is a pretty awesome bike....

...however, much to my suprise, my '90 Kona Explosif rides as nice and still makes me stop and stare for just that bit longer everytime i pass it.

They are both keepers but that Explosif..

Attachments

• P1010683 (Medium).JPG
    P1010683 (Medium).JPG
    223.8 KB · Views: 288
My 1992 Orange Clockwork. Currently stripped ready for repaint & build. Why my favourite retro bike? Because it's my only retro bike!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 275
There can be only one...

I'd hang it on the wall if I was allowed, but I'm not, so Ride it instead :)

A close second would honestly be my £50 Kona.

Re:

Roberts-snow-leopard-44.jpg

My Roberts,
Because It was a bargain buy, an exciting build and the ride ......... such a comfortable bike to ride, even with a rolls saddle

and it looks pretty.

I've got a few nice bikes but this is probably the most special, my 1989 Zinn 753 prototype.

46245515755_7fbba4c6e0_c.jpg

This is what Andy had to say when I sent him some pictures:

"Wow, looks as though it's never been ridden. Yes I definitely built that bike. It is however a pre-production "prototype" of which there were very few. The cable rollers were introduced for production models.
The unfiled joints were a deliberate feature and allowed the use of thinner gauge as no material is removed dressing the joint. It also gained the approval of Reynolds as fillet brazing (as oppose to silver) was generally frowned upon.
The joints were also done in a single pass so the heat affected zone was buried in the root of the joint. Hence the somewhat agricultural finish! The campagnolo groupset looks great but of questionable functionality but it was nearly 30 years ago! Andy."

What serial number is the "Iron Lady"? I wonder how close to mine it is. Yours is a lovely colour. I like the decals on mine, the pink is actually red with white dots when you see it close up.​

Back