Manitou I ....problems problems problems

The mani 2 crown is different, I had to check as it been a few years since I owned a set, but if the legs were a larger diameter is highly unlikely they’d fit into the mani 1 crown. More likely to be a bushing issue as suggested.

Carl

Sorry for late input to this thread Nick, I've sent some photos to you via WhatsApp. Had a lot going on today and CBA to resize/upload the pics here but two sets of M1 forks I have are identical in size to the M2 I also have, depending on how I hold the caliper to the stanchions varies the measurements within a gnat's c0ck. But they;re all pretty much bang on identical at 28.6mm dia.

Haven't pulled either of the M1s apart yet but I have to do so on one soon. I've got a new set of elastomers, spare seals and compression washers here if you need them ASAP before ordering more from SFP, let me know I'll send them your way.

Hope you find the problem/s!

regan_ev":1fnidp7a said:
Sorry for late input to this thread Nick, I've sent some photos to you via WhatsApp. Had a lot going on today and CBA to resize/upload the pics here but two sets of M1 forks I have are identical in size to the M2 I also have, depending on how I hold the caliper to the stanchions varies the measurements within a gnat's c0ck. But they;re all pretty much bang on identical at 28.6mm dia.

Haven't pulled either of the M1s apart yet but I have to do so on one soon. I've got a new set of elastomers, spare seals and compression washers here if you need them ASAP before ordering more from SFP, let me know I'll send them your way.

Hope you find the problem/s!

Hi, If Nick doesn't want the Elastomers and they are suitable for a portly 13.5 stoner... I would be interested :)

Do let us all know the outcome of why your Mani 1's are such tight a fit when you find out, cheers Tom

TOMAS":1a571k4e said:
Hi, If Nick doesn't want the Elastomers and they are suitable for a portly 13.5 stoner... I would be interested :)
Sorry dude these are going into my forks when I can be arsed to trip them. Offered them to Spud to save him time getting another set if needed. Cost me about $100 from memory, but then the taxman and Royal Mail slapped another #17.00 on top!

Hope that Spud finds the problem.

regan_ev":1ys1ye3c said:
TOMAS":1ys1ye3c said:
Sorry dude these are going into my forks when I can be arsed to trip them. Offered them to Spud to save him time getting another set if needed. Cost me about $100 from memory, but then the taxman and Royal Mail slapped another #17.00 on top!

Hope that Spud finds the problem.

Wow they’ve gone up a bit since I bought some 10 years ago.

I looked at alternatives using skate cushions as they are cheap, available and are about the right size with a hole in the middle too.

Carl

Nylon bushes can swell if left wet (for long periods of time) don't know how much of an issue it would be, unless they were very close to being tight when the fork was first built.

(Can dry them out in an oven apparently.)

Your right about the skate board cushions / truck rubbers I’ve got a load as they are almost identical to the elastomer in a Girvin Flexstem and come in three grades

[apart from the above the shallow ones make for great dampers on a basketball ring when screwed to the outside wall of the house]

Back to the forks

Aside from needing about 12 per leg they won’t stack all the well being conical at one end - and finally the diameter of the hole in them is to small and doesn’t allow them to move up and down the rod, you’d end up with a different type of Stiction like I have stopping the fork stroke returning fully

Day off today so surgery is planned

mattr":1wvgnjx2 said:
Nylon bushes can swell if left wet (for long periods of time) don't know how much of an issue it would be, unless they were very close to being tight when the fork was first built.

(Can dry them out in an oven apparently.)

Employing such advanced technology as the Mantou I fork does, the bushing is the only area I’ve got left to investigate and the primary forcus of my attention - hero or Zero stakes !

When I got them off Andy at Yetifan.com about three years ago he did say they were tight/stiff but I wasn’t phased as I assumed the elastomers had melted and stuck to the internals

Retro Spud":2xvoetnh said:
Your right about the skate board cushions / truck rubbers I’ve got a load as they are almost identical to the elastomer in a Girvin Flexstem and come in three grades

[apart from the above the shallow ones make for great dampers on a basketball ring when screwed to the outside wall of the house]

Back to the forks

Aside from needing about 12 per leg they won’t stack all the well being conical at one end - and finally the diameter of the hole in them is to small and doesn’t allow them to move up and down the rod, you’d end up with a different type of Stiction like I have stopping the fork stroke returning fully

Day off today so surgery is planned

You can get barrel ones as well as conical ;) they’ll stack fine and I’d wager probably work as well as the suspension fork parts ones (which I found far too hard).

https://www.skatebritain.net/suregrip-c ... K4QAvD_BwE

Carl.

Back