help me identify this kona

Re:

raba1991":1kr731fs said:
so after finally getting the bottom bracket out, i weighed the frame today it comes in at 2.3kg, it's a 20" frame, but has about 2-3 inches of seatpost remaining stuck inside the frame that needs to be dissolved, does this coincide with it being a fire mountain?

Always like a frame mystery!

As has been pointed out, it's a 1992 issue frame. To answer the question 2.3kg is around 5lbs, so the frame will be a little bit under that once the seatpost is out.. I would say that may push it into Lava Dome or Cinder Cone territory? It's not anything above that, as the Kilauea and Explosif didn't have the same rack mounts on the seatstays. The Explosif would also be a bit lighter. Is there any original paint showing inside the bottom bracket shell or seat tube?

Have you pulled out the forks from the frame by the way? If so, check for a CM/TB stamp on the fork steerer. This is the prefix for the triple butted Project 2's, which would suggest a slightly better model than the Fire Mountain.

Good Luck :)

the forks have been removed they have a number which reads 183E366 can't find any stamp with either CM or TB on them though, either way i'm happy with it i rode it last summer a handful of times after buying it so showing it some long overdue attention it needs.

Back