Manitou I ....problems problems problems

Retro Spud

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Okay I’m more than a bit fed up

After pulling apart of Manitou Ones that I had left over from a frame purchase years ago - I ordered new Elastomers to freshen them up

Whilst waiting I spent night and night stinking the kitchen out with metal polish turning everything black in the process of turning the metal into shinny glass

Even bought more bolts for it - anyway the elastomers turned up and were just the job, so after plenty of Pace grease everything went together but the stanchions are so tight they bind and stick,

Could somebody have put Manitou II legs into Manitou I outters and semi - killed them.

Are manitou II legs marginally bigger - does anyone know ? Somethings wrong like having have a 27.2 post in a 27.0mm frame

Lastly if you of anyone with a leg I can borrow or two I can buy please let me know

Thanks

Totally cheesed off Mr Spud

Wait, did the forks come apart OK? I mean, were the stanchions this tight a fit before the "refurb"!?
Got a pic of the offending parts?

They were stiff before but that didn’t concern me as elastomers usually melt and stick to everything in sight

Now everything is clean as a whistle so I know there’s nothing fouling the legs- the legs are tight the entire length of the travel i.e from wiper seal until they reach the bottom even without and elastomers fitted.

I’ve rebuilt Manitou 2’s and 3’s and the legs generally glide up and down which makes think these legs are off M2’s (they are Manitou legs)

Does any have a pic of Manitou 1 legs - or can measure them ?

Re:

here you go dude... Hope this helps! Mine have been sat in the garage unused and needing Elastomers for the last half year :(

Attachments

• 20190217_222255_resized.jpg
    20190217_222255_resized.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 488
  • 20190217_222301_resized.jpg
    20190217_222301_resized.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 488
  • 20190217_222308_resized.jpg
    20190217_222308_resized.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 488
  • 20190217_222311_resized.jpg
    20190217_222311_resized.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 488
  • 20190217_222331_resized.jpg
    20190217_222331_resized.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 488
  • 20190217_222453_resized.jpg
    20190217_222453_resized.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 488
Thanks for the pic’s and measurements

Mine do look identical and yours has the white collar just under the wiper seals but none on the lower legs as shown in the manual

Regan’s going to measure his M2’s and M1’s as I’ve packed up and stropped off

Out of interest do your legs move/glide up and down freely without to much effort to push them

Re:

I've not had any 1s, but 2s and 3s. One set I had were missing the white 'collar', which I'm sure is the bushing. They have a sit in them so you can pop them out and replace. Perhaps they have hardened or expanded (or both) causing the stiction? Maybe some crude has got in behind them forcing them tight against the sanctions? Maybe one is displaced inside the legs?

Have you tried slotting just one stanchion in at a time? It may just be one side, at least trying will perhaps narrow things down?

They are both as bad as each other - even swapping them over, that’s what makes me think it’s the legs as both being stiff is too much of a coincidence

Just an empty leg with plenty of grease sticks, I’ve only fitted the steerer as they’re too stiff to pull out being shiney and lub’ed up - you can’t grip em we’ll enough

I’ve never struggled with Mani 2’s or 3’s and Judy’s are a dream to work on so I’ve hit the wall as it’s dinosaur technology in them and I can’t for the life of me work out what’s wrong- other than size !

Completely clean/dry mine slide okay-ish, like mentioned maybe the nylon bushes are not seated correctly or swollen? TBH I think these forks did suffer a lot from stiction?

I feel your frustrations though, I have RS Mag 20s, Mag10s, May21s, Mani 1s, Mani 3s, Pace RC35ABs... ALL sat in the workshop doing nothing as they are all awaiting service parts and they just seem so unreliable, that's why I ride mainly rigid I think on my retro bikes.

Well, there's only a few parts involved here. Stanchion, Lower leg. Bushing, and wiper seal.
I'd suggest removing the wiper seal and trying it.
Then remove the bushing and trying it.
See if somrone comes back with measurements first though...

Back