Fake shimano chain?

bluetomgold":2fxc9nmo said:
They're all over eBay. In fact a search for "hg73" doesn't bring up anything other than the chain I bought. Most of the pictures show the (apparently useless) powerlink type joiner too...

I'm getting paranoid about the chain breaking now...

It's on my wife's bike. Which is good and bad. Good because she won't ride it very hard (or often), bad because I don't want to be responsible for her having an accident!

As I say, I have joined 9 speed chains this way before with no issues. On bikes that were ridden hard (and often).

Maybe I should take it out for a proper shakedown.

Or maybe I should just buy a decent chain!

Bloody modern stuff.

:LOL: the HG73 is ancient. 9 speed road is officially retro.

mkone":e7poy66v said:
The chain could be fine, just the connecter.

I think the chain is fine. It's a chain.

Just a bit nervous about having joined it in two places when you're not supposed to join 9 speed chains at all. Seems fine though, and as I say, the last time I did it no puppies died.

I mismeasured a Campag 9 speed chain recently and had to lengthen it to get it right. I was concerned that I’d weakened a few of the holes in doing so, it snapped the other day; straight in the bin!

fyi, (shop owners view) Madison have seen a massive increase in fake shimano, the common outlets it is coming through are Amazon, ebay and Wish, i have seen some in the shop where customers have bought it online and asked me to fit it. the shimano EZ fire sti units look very close to being right, also 8speed rapid fire shifters, both seize up pretty quickly. also cheap road cleats, the SPD SL, mainly in the yellow option get faked, they break easily and wear quickly.

the fake stuff used to be badged as "shimang" the font was the same and the G looked close to a shimano letter O hence the confusion when customers bought it but now they are just copying the name completely.

Yes, lots of sneidy stuff on ebay. I cannot find the example subject im looking for on ebay, thankfully.
I had a dispute 2 years ago having bought a 'sram' chain. And the ad sold that product, carefully and, comprehensively.
What i got was an unbranded link of tat.
I reported it all to ebay, stating how careful they are with the keywords and legalities. Still slipping the net though.

For sram!
Fits sram!
It is sram!

Uk, uk....

Same but shimano.

Avoid the lot.

I had a ruck with ebay years ago.. they accused me of using keyword for a NAD amp listing, which was true but at the time i was doing it unknowingly, my item was clearly a NAD amp..
What annoyed me was they said it was 'unethical' so i replied 'how dare you accuse me of being unethical when you profit from the sale of nazi and p**do memroabilia, i sent them links to items bearing swastikas and Jim'll Fix It badges i said it was offensive but they refused to remove them..

They said that folks could think my Nad amp was a different brand so i said well at least it wasn't fake and sent them 100's of links to fake Nike trainers (ebay was awash with them at the time) i also sent pdf legit checks and said 'here check them out for yourself'.. some of these sellers had 10,000+ ebay sales.. they did f**k all about it. :LOL:

aaaaand we’re done. Six weeks and under 200 miles. Utter shite.

Attachments

• 01B1DA38-4FA2-4394-B03B-DA3838DA15EB.jpeg
    01B1DA38-4FA2-4394-B03B-DA3838DA15EB.jpeg
    842.8 KB · Views: 31
Back