Threaded freewheel lockrings?

Thaumaturge

Devout Dirtbag
I can't remember.. with a threaded cassette is the cog lockring reverse threaded or not? Google throwing up to many of the wrong answers.

No, generally not. Some track lockrings are though.

Exactly which model world help. Or a picture.

OK, a MF-TZ500-7 or similar.
The lockring covering the bearings and insides of the freewheel mechanism IS reverse threaded.
Any lockring holding sprockets on is NORMALLY threaded, as is the thread holding the freewheel to the wheel.

Right.. i got the sprocket lockring off, normal threading as you say but there was a second locking/spacer holding the larger cogs on that just wouldn't budge and was wrecking my screwdriver in the attempt so i've given up on it. I wanted to ditch the megarange sprocket for a normal step up but have just ordered another freewheel now. Thanks :)

You'll probably need the right tool for a thread that size, it must be ~35mm in diameter And fitted by a machine, and not really designed to be serviced!

And i don't think you can simply change a mega range freewheel to a non-megarange by changing the sprockets, i have a vague recollection that the top "cluster" is riveted together into one piece and designed to fit to that specific freewheel body.........

Back