Monolith - A pearl amongst the stones - what's the verdict?

Take a look in the thread........"rare mountain bikes"...........there are pics and mention of this there, dating back to 2007/8

That's simply too rare and interesting to be left on the rack.

Even if you ship it back and sell it on here, you'll have rescued it and released it into an environment where it will be cared for and loved by someone.

All the best,

One of the most interesting early suspension designs, so original and cool.

It is a definite must have if possible. I doubt you will ever see one for sale again.

Oh man......this is going to get silly I just know it.

Already got two frames waiting to build, just purchased a modern-retro Masi CX special to finally scratch that itch, I've got boxes of stuff to sell off, and then I fall pray to Retrobike mania when I absolutely least need it.

Worst still, I then have a moment of insanity and ask you lot for advice :roll: :LOL:

Anyhow, despite a high risk it will all end in tears I should be able to make a visit back to the "LBS" this week to get more details about this potential bijou. I've got some ideas of stripping it and shipping it with - errrr - very excess baggage.

For the moment, it doesn't look abused, just left and neglected in a general sorry state. Full XT kit; looked like M730 stuff and appears all original; down to the cables. BB was old lock-ring type and not a sealed cartridge type. Wheels looked original with very dull M730 hubs. Both tyres looked newish but flat and rear suspension looks like it's lost all it's puff. AL finish will need some attention. Anyone know the finish because it doesn't look raw or polished AL? It seemed like some kind of epoxy? Front fork missing a rubber boot protector - forks are AL too. I noticed a fair few allen bolts had rusted along with the Schrader valves. Tioga stem tatty with rust patches on the chrome and the saddle a complete horror. Black ano finishes look slightly sun faded.

Anyone have an idea if parts are still available? Suspension parts look
very (too) specific.

For the record, the bike shop told me the Monolith is in for Service - and not for sale. What ever the service is, it seems to be taking forever.... :?

Ask to leave a note with the current owner, attached to the repair ticket. Anyone dropping off a Monolith at a LBS for 'service' is not fully appreciative of what they own. You may walk away with a bargain, and if it isn't your cup of tea, sell it to somebody who knows what a Monolith is.

Wouldn't hurt to ask. People leave notes on my VW Bus all the time.

Dear Retrobikers,
vintage MTB Enthusiasts, vintage bike philosophers, collectors.....

Who's a Monolith bike owner? Do you know somebody who has one? Please share your experience, info on those great bikes!

I'm in the process of gathering info, and might possibly do a database on various owners.
Of course if a particular owner wishes I can do it in an anonymous way like other bike databases.

Please let me know, such great outstanding bikes should not get lost.
And who knows.....maybe we could even organize a Monolith owner club who meets regularly? :)

Thanks!

Re:

They're cool looking bikes and forks.
Would be good to see a few more of them :)