De clutter.. sell the lot.. make life more simple

Cheshire1980

Orange 🍊 Fan
:facepalm: :facepalm: thinking of selling the lot, minus 1. Just feel i need to move on. Possessions.. just fed up..

Cheshire1980":3901hpq0 said:
:facepalm: :facepalm: thinking of selling the lot, minus 1. Just feel i need to move on. Possessions.. just fed up..

I often think the same. Two kids, long shifts, uncertain finances, no time to ride etc. But I can never quite let go! Probably some deep seated problem somewhere...

Re:

Yup mate, been there. Out of the 100’s of old bikes that have passed through my only sale regrets have been the grey Clockwork, Vitamin T and my original 89. Out of all those the only one i’d go out of my way to get back would be the 89.

My current collection is the mint 92, black Prestige, knackered grey Clockwork and 89 Saracen Tufftrax + Traverse. The only one properly safe is the mint 92 and only because I refuse to get rid until I build it back up.

Nothing wrong with slimming down but keep one or two as you’ll have a nibble again in the future so no point in selling then buying back. I keep my Saracens as they’re worth so little it’s hardly worth the effort of selling but means I have some nice retro content to look at from time to time.

Dibs btw. :facepalm:

Cheshire1980":1p1cpk35 said:

Cheshire

I’ve had a de-clutter twice,

Once 12 years ago when I left the retro scene and then a couple of years later when I tried to drop to just “one” bike tk dk everything.

It doesn’t work !!!

As you know I just come back to retro, I’d been missing old bike for years and had been fighting it,

Gave in to it and have just pumped a sheeet load of coin into 3 oranges :D

Likewise with the modern stuff, same thing got rid of them all and slowly the numbers have crept back up

Currently own :facepalm:
4 retro orange
2 modern mountain bikes
3 road /cross bikes

Bike culls only seem to open up space for new toys

It’s easy to get pi****ed of with having all these bikes no time to ride, to many commitments etc , but once there gone, you’d properly never be able to replace your collection. Or be able to afford to, and also you’d never realise the true value of you sold them,

Somebody once told me about men and collecting stuff.

We may never use them/look at them, but we know we’ve got it and that’s what matters, spiritual connection to our youth etc.

So that’s my 2 cents is keep them, love them hide them away for a bit you’ll always come back to them ;)

PS I look after your O’s till your ready to have them back :D

Re:

Not that I’ve ever had loads but reduced down to just the one bike now from four (‘92 Prestige, ‘90 Ridgeback 704XT, ‘94 Clockwork and this ‘96 P7) as of about 12 months ago.

Now, one bike. One gear. Never ridden more and never enjoyed it more. De-clutter the shed space as well as the mind space Callum...!

:D

Cheshire1980":25a5i2s9 said:

Don't do it there's always room somewhere,once there gone etc :shock: Selling my early 90 GT Zaskar which was made in the February,so was one of the first,why why why did i do that :LOL:
But if you have to can i please add your Orange Formula and fluro yellow Clockwork to my ever increasing 1988/89 collection.
I thought i could control this addiction by trying to stick to my favourite years of mountain biking but i seem to have opened a can of worms :D :facepalm: love it though ;)

Re:

Now this is one to ponder carefully, both sides of the coin are right.
I'll soon be doing a very similar thing with a twenty year collection of cars due to impending loss of storage, some are projects some aren't, some now have good value & some are worthless finacially. The first went last week, it was in poor condition, made fair money & went to a good home. I found it very liberating. That said I still have two good examples of this rare model (Only 505 built) which is probably making it easy. after initally enjoying the release of selling it I started thinking about why I own some of these cars & realised I really don't want to be without a few of them.
Possesions / collections are a tie & can be hard to manage but before you let anything go just remind yourself why you own them in the first place. Some may well not have a good enough reason to stay but I'm sure some will.

Back