Mavic MA 40 Rims -Looking for some Info and reviews on these

Re: Mavic MA 40 Rims -Looking for some Info and reviews on t

I've managed to end up with some MA40 650W rims (4 off NOS). Anyone know anything about these - they seem to be about 5mm larger on diameter than a 'normal' 26" MA40 :?

As an aside I thought that the 'MB' suffix came a little later on in production - the ones with the earlier green/yellow stickers are just called 'MA40' IIRC, when they adopted the m231 style multi coloured sticker they seem to have been called MA40 MB.

nevadasmith":1jo86t74 said:
I've managed to end up with some MA40 650W rims (4 off NOS). Anyone know anything about these - they seem to be about 5mm larger on diameter than a 'normal' 26" MA40 :?

As an aside I thought that the 'MB' suffix came a little later on in production - the ones with the earlier green/yellow stickers are just called 'MA40' IIRC, when they adopted the m231 style multi coloured sticker they seem to have been called MA40 MB.

Bearing in mind, the original rim was cut down from a road bike rim. hence the designaton MB

or that was the mavic reps explanation to me BITD.

:?

Attachments

• mavic 1989.jpg
    mavic 1989.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 730

Going completely from memory fwiw, i think the first first MBs started to show up as early as the later half of 88, i dont think the 231 was availiable OE or aftermarket untill 90. :?

MikeD":55esuci2 said:
walleater":55esuci2 said:
Maybe Mr B should have cut down a touring rim!

He did -- his first rolled-down rim was a Super Champion Model 58 pulled from one of Specialized's bins :)

As for the width, he said this: "The reduced width was a necessity, not a planned thing. That it worked at all was a surprise."
'84. It was a pair, and he paid 1$ apiece for em

sinnerman":17wtw2rh said:
nevadasmith":17wtw2rh said:

Bearing in mind, the original rim was cut down from a road bike rim. hence the designaton MB

or that was the mavic reps explanation to me BITD.

:?

Those mavic headsets were brilliant! I had one on my 1990 clockwork as the rc30s used to shake the xt one loose all the time. Never a problem again after I fitted the mavic

sinnerman":mzz68msf said:
Going completely from memory fwiw, i think the first first MBs started to show up as early as the later half of 88, i dont think the 231 was availiable OE or aftermarket untill 90. :?

I think you are right there, I worked for orange in 1990 and when I started there were a lot of m6s being fitted early in the year but by then end of the year it was nearly all 231 with m6s going on LX bikes. I only remember building up one bike with ma40s and I think it was a team bike with a specific request on rims.

Re:

Mine were ordered as cut downs back in the fall of 1988 on my IBIS Custom. 32 spoke and the two spokes straddling the seam is an 1/8" tighter together than the rest. Came drilled with presta valve hole.. wondering if these are in fact original Keith Bontrager roll downs.. hard to find info on these

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190120-192600_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20190120-192600_Photos.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 274
  • Screenshot_20190120-192714_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20190120-192714_Photos.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 274
Re:

Yes sir... full xt, flight saddle, Suntour XC pedals (stashed away in favor of some platforms), WTB Speedmaster roller cams front and back, XC seatpost, XC greasguard BB, and even a set of Biopace sprockets up front for some old cool flair.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190121-174202_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20190121-174202_Photos.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 260
Back