Opinions again - time for a new build. Another Orange, or?

Never driven an orange but going off your requirements I can confirm that the early 90s steel Marins are very “fast”. Even the cheap ones are attacking and their “afterburner” stays really do make them feel like a rocket, very direct.
Entry level bikes are around 12kg (Palisades) rising to 10kg for the Team Marin, and actually the Eldridge Grade is about 10.5

I’ve also heard great things about the 2000 full sussers- but I’ve yet to ride mine!

Tricky1977":2lcib3ua said:
Never driven an orange but going off your requirements I can confirm that the early 90s steel Marins are very “fast”. Even the cheap ones are attacking and their “afterburner” stays really do make them feel like a rocket, very direct.
Entry level bikes are around 12kg (Palisades) rising to 10kg for the Team Marin, and actually the Eldridge Grade is about 10.5

I’ve also heard great things about the 2000 full sussers- but I’ve yet to ride mine!

Ooooo I definitely disagree with that! Marins are very ponderous in my opinion, though TBH I’ve never gone better than a Bear Valley. My Schwinn rode well, Konas are sweet handling. I miss ‘92 Prestige...

bluetomgold":2xawwop3 said:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KONA-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-WITH-26-INCH-WHEELS-AS-ACQUIRED-SPARES-REPAIR/372564688850

What size is this I wonder? I think I messaged him... no reply.

The longer I stare at it the more I think it's probably an 18

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
rwm1962":2j5b8fla said:
If you want to build your own these are a great P7 - 2001/2 with choice of V or disc brake.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/orange-p7-St ... :rk:1:pf:0

I bid on that but didn't win. Was probably being a cheapskate... it went for a pretty reasonable price.... but then who knows how far the bidding would have gone if I'd got stuck in...

Slightly stupidly in the same frenzy of eBay activity I put a fairly low offer in on a probably too small Kona...which was accepted. I think this was originally a 2000 Hahanna, but obviously it's had quite a few changes made. Some of which are horrible. I'm picking it up next week.

It's supposed to be an 18" but my wishful eBay eye is hoping that it's bigger. Still, it was only £60, so while I'm gambling on it being something I'll actually enjoy riding, I actually quite like the spec, and if the frame's no good to me then I'm hoping it'll be worth the money for the forks and the shifters at least. If it's too small for me it's possible that my wife will like it.

Anyway I read up in the brochure and it's interesting that the low-end Hahanna has different geometry to the posher "race" spec models - it's shorter in the top tube and more relaxed in the seat and head tube. Who knows, maybe I'll like it?

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 681
Picked the Kona up on Monday. Pretty chuffed for £60. The paint is tatty, and the chain and cassette will need replacing but otherwise it's in good ridable condition. Not very original, but who cares? Measured it up - it IS a 19" :cool: Also seems to be almost identical geometry to the C16R, which I'm very happy about.

Gave it a good going over this morning - mainly just needed cables lubing, but I also did a few adjustments, and sorted some frayed cable ends. All seemed well in the stand so I took it for a ride. Oh, I changed the saddle first. :mrgreen:

Conclusion - it's a keeper! I was sceptical about the wide risers but actually I like the riding position, and although it's a fairly subtle contrast to the C16R it makes a nice change. Aside from a little chain slip when riding hard (the chain IS worn out...) it rides great. It's heavier than the clockwork, and feels it when climbing, it's not as racy feeling, but it's super stable and confidence inspiring. There's certainly room for a few upgrades but as a knockabout bike it's totally cool.

I know it's not exactly the most exciting or sought after bike out there, but it's a cracker nonetheless, and they are a bargain IMO. Should I bother to do a thread for it?

Attachments

• DSCF0165.jpg
    DSCF0165.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 631
I liked the 99 Kona paint/stickers.

Hanna and fire mountain are shorter in the top tube if I remember rightly so if you want to stretch move up to a lava dome or cinder cone eventually .

Re:

Always a tough one Tom!

I loved the ride of my KHS Montana Pro (despite it being too small) but If you haven't already done so, I would try a steel Stumpjumper from around '91 onwards. The last model years (199:cool: are particularly sweet as you also get a 1 1/8" head tube :)

Back