Opinions again - time for a new build. Another Orange, or?

Re:

P7 defo a decent call. I'd avoid a Prestige as any of those will be closer to the Clockwork than the c16 and that's not what you want. How about a E3? seems to be a few about, or a Vit T2 if you can find one for a decent price?

Re: Re:

xerxes":3o7co7bz said:
I like that Sunn; something French to go with your English Oranges. :D

Yup... I sort of think of Sunn as the French Orange. Don't know if that's fair...?

brocklanders023":3o7co7bz said:
P7 defo a decent call. I'd avoid a Prestige as any of those will be closer to the Clockwork than the c16 and that's not what you want. How about a E3? seems to be a few about, or a Vit T2 if you can find one for a decent price?

Cool... Yeah, I think P7 is probably a good way to go. The question is whether a later one with discs or an earlier one so I can share bits...

No rush really. Let's see what turns up.

brocklanders023":2d9m7os9 said:
Go discs for a change. ;)

Yeah, I think you could be right. Tempted to put in the starting bid on that P7 I linked to above. It's not mega high spec but it's a nice looking build. What do you reckon?

Actually what am I thinking? It's miles away and I'm skint. :mrgreen:

lol.

Re:

Late 90's steel kona or something with similar geometry ! it looks like your after a more modern ride position and you've tried a 21 inch orange and said it wasn't suitable and a p7 unless a more modern one will be a stiffer ride but very similar position to your c16r. Your clockwork will be tange infinity so should be springier than your c16r so if it feels harsh it must be the tyres or riding position ! I'm 6ft 1 and It looks like me that your a bit in between sizes and your after a more uptight position and the clockwork has a short headtube so there's a lot of your weight going through your arms and wrists I'm riding a 20 inch 98 lava dome it has a nice long headtube and my forks have a long steerer it's a much better position with a layback seatpost a short stem and nice wide bars. I love oranges and still ride my 21 inch c16r as a road bike with barends but prefer a more upright position for off road

bolly":2xxkn75n said:
Late 90's steel kona or something with similar geometry ! it looks like your after a more modern ride position and you've tried a 21 inch orange and said it wasn't suitable and a p7 unless a more modern one will be a stiffer ride but very similar position to your c16r. Your clockwork will be tange infinity so should be springier than your c16r so if it feels harsh it must be the tyres or riding position ! I'm 6ft 1 and It looks like me that your a bit in between sizes and your after a more uptight position and the clockwork has a short headtube so there's a lot of your weight going through your arms and wrists I'm riding a 20 inch 98 lava dome it has a nice long headtube and my forks have a long steerer it's a much better position with a layback seatpost a short stem and nice wide bars. I love oranges and still ride my 21 inch c16r as a road bike with barends but prefer a more upright position for off road

Good comments. You're right about fit in that I'm just under 6ft but with very long legs (34") and shorter torso. So a slightly more upright position suits me and yeah, there's a little too much pressure on my wrists on the Clockwork - which in practise makes it feel less controlled. I should probably try a different stem/bar setup on it, but I think I'd still miss having front suspension.

So yeah, a slightly more modern position works, but the generic modern rental bikes I've ridden with short stem, very wide riser bars etc don't seem to work either as for some reason I feel like I have to hang on for dear life. Basically the C16R feels really good. I did consider a shorter stem before I started riding it but it works.

I confess that I haven't actually ridden the 21" bike. For one thing it needs a bit of work, for another I measured it and it's a full inch longer in the top tube than the 19" so I kind of ruled it out. I was planning on building it as a tourer anyway, and it doesn't have rack mounts, so the odds are stacked against it! Maybe I should fix it enough to show it some mud but I thought I'd just flip it.

A 20" kona might be a good option, OTOH I might not like it as much as the C16R. I should probably study some brochures and compare geometry.

I have to say that I'm sort of in two minds about the stiffer P7 frame as I don't weigh much myself and the C16R feels about right in terms of stiffness... If anything I'd prefer something lighter and I tend to have a preference for a bit of give. The clockwork definitely has a bit of springiness from the back end which I appreciate! Of course I could make the C16R my "weight weenie" bike.

Re: Orange P7 FOR SALE

I happen to have a 19" P7 1998 (with disc mount) frame + orange aluminium fork can include most bits to build. Great basis for light tourer. I would also look at a Kilauea 96 one of my all time favourite frames, or KHS Montana team/comp really under estimated frames.

Re: Orange P7 FOR SALE

wiggviv":1y566hqy said:
I happen to have a 19" P7 1998 (with disc mount) frame + orange aluminium fork can include most bits to build. Great basis for light tourer. I would also look at a Kilauea 96 one of my all time favourite frames, or KHS Montana team/comp really under estimated frames.

Good point re KHS. Will send you a PM re the P7.

Back