Shimano freewheel remover - recommendations?

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Why aren’t the freewheel removers the same size as the cassette tools?!

Anyone bought a cheap freewheel tool from eBay? Was it any good?

Ebay item 273639083869 looks reasonable, but for less than £3!

SP

Re:

Good question! Both the Shimano locking and cassette tool seem to be pretty much the same diameter, just a different spline pattern..

To make matters worse different freewheels need other tools of course. I thought I had most brands covered, until I acquired a pair of wheels with a Suntour freewheel = another tool.

The Ebay one will probably be okay. There's a small chance that it may possibly be slightly softer metal which could wear out faster, but I'm sure it will be perfect for what is a very occasional job. For what it's worth I bought a Park FR-1 ages ago, which is still going strong :)

Re:

The UG freewheel removal tool has the same spline pattern as the HG cassette lockring remover but is fractionally smaller in diameter. Off-brand HG removers will sometimes fit freewheels anyway, as the difference is so small and tolerances are so slack for cheap parts. A genuine Shimano HG tool won't fit a genuine Shimano freewheel, though. That'll teach you to buy quality tools :D

Re:

I'd cynically bet that they are not the same size because the manufacturers want you to have to purchase two tools, rather than just one ...

;)

Re:

I can confirm that despite having to resort to a HUGE 1/2” drive breaker bar on the end of the tool, it survived unscathed and got the freewheel off. The fit was ever so slighlty baggy, but otherwise fine for occasional use.

SP (now working on BSOs :facepalm: )

Re:

I usually end up sitting on the wheel and whacking the end of a large spanner with a mallet. It must just be me; I've unscrewed freewheels and fixed cogs from other people's bikes without resorting to such violent means.

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":2pj6zqvo said:
SP (now working on BSOs :facepalm: )

:LOL: I must confess messing with low end tat can be quite cathartic, you can be a lot more cavalier in your approach

Re: Re:

rogerzilla":38e1wo6w said:
I usually end up sitting on the wheel and whacking the end of a large spanner with a mallet. It must just be me; I've unscrewed freewheels and fixed cogs from other people's bikes without resorting to such violent means.

Hmm, that hadn’t occurred to me, I’d probably give it a go with an adjustable. The tool was an odd size - I tried metric, imperial and Whitworth! A 24 mm did hold though.

Back